Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Smoking - Can you recommend any self help books?

(7 Posts)
bumbling Fri 10-Oct-08 09:20:44

I've done Alan Carr, both the clinic itself and the book, but am looking for new inspiration. The clinic worke and I gave up for 2.5 years, but started again about year ago. I have been back to the CLinic, wasn't the magic bullet this time and reread the book but think I need something different this time.

Would be v grateful for any recommendations. Quite like the idea of some kind of CBT Cognitive Behavioural Therapy type things. Are there any out there?

bumbling Fri 10-Oct-08 13:06:46

Bump - Please help am desperate for help!

issyissyissy Fri 10-Oct-08 13:11:57

My husband has recently completed the nhs scheme and is now a "non smoker!!" He says it is the easeist way he has tried and it works. Also it is free. Just go to the doctor and request a referral.

bumbling Fri 10-Oct-08 18:05:08

That's an ideaIssyII. What did it involve and were there any patches/gum etc, am a bit reluctant to try them as it's never worked before. Really don't want to try drugs, Zyban or similar either as know there are potential issues with them.

issyissyissy Fri 10-Oct-08 21:01:26

He was on tablets for a while, cant remember the name but will find out for you. He settled with them very quickly, few probs to start with but not for long and found them easy to come off. A frined of ours has also done it and used patches. I think when you go to see the practioner they help you work out which method is best for you, you can also opt for individual counselling or group. dh did individual as found it better for him.
Good luck xx

witcheseve Fri 10-Oct-08 21:07:58

Was going to say Alan Carr but then read your post. Sorry cannot recommend anything. He is after all the anti smoking guru.

I've tried it all. Zyban was OK, gave up for 3 months, Champix made me throw up. Inhaler, gum, patches around a month at a time. Cold turkey and Alan Carr 10 months.

If you find anything else can you let me know.

MrsWalton Fri 10-Oct-08 21:12:02

google a book about stopping smoking by Nicola Willis. It's very simple. Just great tips, basically she talks you through the first week or two and after that, your done! I smoked for 25 years and it worked for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now