Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

First filling tomorrow - a bit scared

(5 Posts)
Servalan Thu 09-Oct-08 21:21:31

I'm having my first ever filling tomorrow - I've made it to 37 without having one, so I'm feeling a bit nervous.

The thing I'm most nervous about is this. I was actually told I needed it about a year ago, but I didn't like the idea of having amalgam put in my mouth while I was bf, so waited until I had stopped bf to get it sorted out.

When the dentist told me I needed it a year ago, she mentioned that she wasn't going to use a local anaesthetic. I checked with her again a couple of days ago when I took dd for her first ever appointment and I didn't mishear.

Her and the dental nurse said that they don't usually give pain relief if it is just a small filling. This doesn't sound right to me, but then I've not had a filling before, so what do I know? DH is horrified - but he doesn't tend to go to dentists until he actually feels pain, so I suppose he is used to having big fillings.

Has anyone had a "small filling" without anaesthetic and do I need to be worried?

Thanks

SmudgeyDoodle Thu 09-Oct-08 21:40:41

Servalan - you'll be fine. I've sadly had quite a few fillings now and although have had anaesthetic with most, I've also had at least one without. It's a weird sensation but didn't hurt. If it's a small filling then they won't be going deep enough to go near the nerve. Good luck!

AMumInScotland Thu 09-Oct-08 21:43:10

If it's just the "outer surface" of the tooth, and not going in to the middle where the root (and nerve) is, then you don't need an anaesthetic. I've had a few like that - they're really ok, and you'll be fine. The thing you may find after is that your jaw aches from keeping your mouth wide open!

loopylou6 Thu 09-Oct-08 22:25:38

it dont hurt, i promise smile

Servalan Thu 09-Oct-08 23:16:12

Thanks for your reasurrance folks. I'm really glad I posted now - I'm starting to feel a little less nervous

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now