Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

First filling tomorrow - a bit scared

(5 Posts)
Servalan Thu 09-Oct-08 21:21:31

I'm having my first ever filling tomorrow - I've made it to 37 without having one, so I'm feeling a bit nervous.

The thing I'm most nervous about is this. I was actually told I needed it about a year ago, but I didn't like the idea of having amalgam put in my mouth while I was bf, so waited until I had stopped bf to get it sorted out.

When the dentist told me I needed it a year ago, she mentioned that she wasn't going to use a local anaesthetic. I checked with her again a couple of days ago when I took dd for her first ever appointment and I didn't mishear.

Her and the dental nurse said that they don't usually give pain relief if it is just a small filling. This doesn't sound right to me, but then I've not had a filling before, so what do I know? DH is horrified - but he doesn't tend to go to dentists until he actually feels pain, so I suppose he is used to having big fillings.

Has anyone had a "small filling" without anaesthetic and do I need to be worried?

Thanks

SmudgeyDoodle Thu 09-Oct-08 21:40:41

Servalan - you'll be fine. I've sadly had quite a few fillings now and although have had anaesthetic with most, I've also had at least one without. It's a weird sensation but didn't hurt. If it's a small filling then they won't be going deep enough to go near the nerve. Good luck!

AMumInScotland Thu 09-Oct-08 21:43:10

If it's just the "outer surface" of the tooth, and not going in to the middle where the root (and nerve) is, then you don't need an anaesthetic. I've had a few like that - they're really ok, and you'll be fine. The thing you may find after is that your jaw aches from keeping your mouth wide open!

loopylou6 Thu 09-Oct-08 22:25:38

it dont hurt, i promise smile

Servalan Thu 09-Oct-08 23:16:12

Thanks for your reasurrance folks. I'm really glad I posted now - I'm starting to feel a little less nervous

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: