Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

HOW MUCH!? will root cannal cost me??

(18 Posts)
lisad123 Thu 09-Oct-08 20:54:18

DH has really bad tooth ache though the night, and got appointment today. they have said that he needs a root cannal shock but im really worried it going to cost loads. We are saving for a motor bike atm, and for once i am saving whats is going to cost us??

Rindercella Thu 09-Oct-08 21:35:26

Ouch - your poor DH. I am having root canal done next week, and am not looking forward to it at all. Have been quoted about £200 incl crown, but that's private. Lots of NHS dentists don't like doing that sort of work under the NHS as the quality of materials is shit poor. His dentist should be able to advise - give them a call in the morning to check.

MegBusset Thu 09-Oct-08 21:38:17

If it's an NHS dentist then the price will be fixed at £198 including a crown.

If it's private then you are looking at quite a lot more. I was quoted £500 for mine and that's without the crown! Luckily I am now pg so will be getting it on the NHS for free...

LurkerOfTheUniverse Thu 09-Oct-08 21:52:41

my dp had a private quote for £500

he's gone back to the NHS, about £150

hellion Thu 09-Oct-08 21:54:34

When I first went to the dentist I was told I could have the tooth out or have root canal. What a choice. My dentist didn't do root canal so I got a private quote and it was £500 with a three week wait!!!!

I got treatment through NHS dentist - I rung through the phone book until I found one that would take me and offered root canal treatment. My costs £64 although will probably need to get a crown sometime. Good Luck.

By the way I hate the dentist but the route canal work wasn't as bad as I thought.

wasabipeanut Thu 09-Oct-08 21:57:29

Mine was £250. I was accepted as an NHS patient on my maternity card but some things apparently just aren't covered - like root canals.

Or crowns unless I wanted a lovely metal one. That was £350.

It was a serious pita shelling out that much cash but I can now chew on both sides of my mouth without nearly crying.

ComeOVeneer Thu 09-Oct-08 22:08:22

Root canal is avaliable on the nhs it just isn't cost effective so lots of dentists get out of doing it by either referring or saying it has to be done privately. The cost on the nhs depends on wether the tooth needs a crown afterwards or just a filling. (either £44.60 or £198 (if crown required). However for a white style crown you have to pay privately (so £44.60 plus whatever your dentist charges for a private crown).

lisad123 Thu 09-Oct-08 22:55:55

oh no, cant believe how much it is!! Its not like he wants new teeth, just the pain to stop. Thats terrible, what would happen if we cant pay?? We have just paid out for DD2's eye treatment too god im broke

ComeOVeneer Thu 09-Oct-08 22:57:04

The only other option is removal of the tooth (that will still cost £44.60).

DraculaNeedsArteries Thu 09-Oct-08 23:00:24

Dp having something done next week which he said was "something to do with the root" hmm.

What exactly is a root canal?

<he had a huge absess under the tooth whcih has been treated with ABs...to be followed up with this "root treatment">

lisad123 Thu 09-Oct-08 23:01:30

yes my DH has an absess under the tooth.
They take the nerve out shock

RustyBear Thu 09-Oct-08 23:02:08

I had a root canal done about 20 years ago, but I'd just had DS so it was free. The tooth has just broken in half (apparently they often get brittle after root canal work) & I'm currently waiting for a crown to be fitted - £550.

kiddiz Thu 09-Oct-08 23:39:57

I have had root canal work done on 2 teeth and paid £44.60 for each because they were 2 seperate treatments..If I'd had them done in the same course of treatment it would have been just one fee of £44.60
One of the teeth subsequently broke in half like Rusty's.I also had to have a crown but I got a white one on the NHS. I paid £198 for it. If you have more than one crown in the same course of treatment it's still one fee of £198.

ComeOVeneer Fri 10-Oct-08 23:38:48

You can only have white crowns on front teeth on the nhs.

expatinscotland Sat 11-Oct-08 00:24:44

ow!

i'm at that point, too.

i think it's absessing and i'm 37 weeks pregnant.

but i'm going for extraction because the molar is so filled up as it is there is hardly any tooth left.

my lovely dentist in the US had warned me that next time that tooth got a cavity it couldn't be saved because there's not a lot left to it.

that'll be three huge molars i'm missing.

once i get working full-time, though, i'm going to my mother's dentist and getting implants because they're about half the cost in the US.

i fucking hate my molars.

if i won the lotto tomorrow, i'd have every single one of those remaining - all of which i know need filled - extracted and replaced with implants.

lilysmummy2007 Sat 11-Oct-08 00:31:30

are you claiming tax credits?? dp got a exemption certifcate for the whole family with his claim this year as im no longer working. if you arent exempt, try going as an emergency to your hospital dentist if there is one close by, we have kings college 5 mins away and they are great, you might get a student dentist but ive never had a problem and everything i had done was perfect as i was a poor student myself and just could not afford to go privately

expatinscotland Sat 11-Oct-08 00:33:30

the trouble is, though, like COV said, root canals aren't covered or many NHS dentists don't offer them.

i had an awesome root canal, but what i didn't realise is that decay CAN get under the crown still!

sure enough, it happened to me.

as there was so little tooth left the dentist had had to put a post into my gum/jaw to hold the crown in in the first place, i lost the tooth.

sad

kiddiz Sun 12-Oct-08 09:54:27

My white crown on the nhs is a back tooth and all my root canal work was done as an nhs patient. This thread confirms what I already knew....I have a wonderful dentist.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: