Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Flu jabs for pregnant mums and toddlers?

(6 Posts)
toddlerhip Thu 09-Oct-08 16:32:25

Hi, anyone know whether this is safe and how to get it? My local healthcentres don't do it and don't know how to access private care in the area. Asda aren't doing it here this year and Boots doesn't know.

misi Thu 09-Oct-08 20:54:20

there was a thread only last week about this I think. there is conflicting advice on this. the government say it is safe but other respected pregnancy etc type people say only if you really need it or go for thiomersal free jabs.

this is the thread

mumsnet.com/Talk/general_health/618389-is-the-flu-jab-safe-when-pregnant

toddlerhip Fri 10-Oct-08 20:30:35

Thanks. In the US pregnant women and toddlers get it routinely. Experts in the field have found it safe. I read on the bbc website research has found a link to increased risk of babies developing leukemia or having brain damage if the mother has flu when pregnant. But despite MMR being proved safe the govt thinks it's expensive & since that row parents wouldn't accept the flu jab for pregnant women and toddlers. Nonetheless it looks likely for next year. I asked my dr today about it and he said he wouldn't advise it, but then he hadn't heard about the government plans (nor the recent research linking baby paracetamol and later development of athsma)!
Daily Mail
Telegraph article

toddlerhip Fri 10-Oct-08 20:42:07

I was really shocked there is so little clarity over the flu jab plans or even knowledge of the research among doctors & i have emailed the DoH, the local health board & the govt immunisation committee & others asking for clarity...

Reallytired Fri 10-Oct-08 20:43:29

Where I worked offered to pay for everyone to have flu jabs. However they refused to give me a flu jab because I am pregnant.

misi Sat 11-Oct-08 22:06:27

if you ask 6 doctors to give you advice about vaccinations, any vaccinations, apart from the ''party line'' you will get 6 different answers, most doctors in this country haven't even heard about the link between polio vaccs and group B strep prevalence!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now