Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

So at what point do you give in and go to doctor?

(44 Posts)
KerryMumchingOnEyeballs Wed 08-Oct-08 22:14:13

If you have a sore throat that has been getting progressively worse for 4 days and now it feels like it is on FIRE every time you open your mouth and now your eyes are really really sore and you still have that bit of a head cold and your shoulders and lymph nodes ache?

It's pointless right? It's probably viral?

whomovedmychocolate Wed 08-Oct-08 22:15:36

Yep pretty pointless - get some ibuprofen in you to reduce swelling, rest and drink a lot - it is nearly over!

KerryMumchingOnEyeballs Wed 08-Oct-08 22:16:13

but could it be bacterial?

It just keeps getting worse?

DevilishDisasterArea Wed 08-Oct-08 22:16:40

virus. plenty of fluids, paracet and ibuprofen.
although are your tonsils pussy?

avenadrinkofblood Wed 08-Oct-08 22:16:48

Have you had a peak to chek for pus on your tonsils?

RedOnHerBeheadedHead Wed 08-Oct-08 22:16:51

you may need antibiotics if your throat is infected, but personally i tend to weather the storm, I hate antibiotics. Take a few paracetamol with some honey and lemon and see how you are tomorrow.

Niecie Wed 08-Oct-08 22:17:03

Not necessarily.

Can you see your tonsils? Do they have pus spots on them (sorry - gross I know). If so it could be bacterial.

It might have started as a cold but you can get secondary infections.

I would go to the docs I think - cold sore throats don't usually that long.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Wed 08-Oct-08 22:17:25

Get a torch and check for white spots on it. If you see any get down the docs. Otherwise it probably is viral, but if it hangs around worth getting checked out anyway.

Hassled Wed 08-Oct-08 22:18:17

Go to the Dr - that's why they exist. When I eventually went with a sore throat (could barely speak or swallow at this stage) I was given a massive dose of ABs and told off for leaving it so long. Just go.

avenadrinkofblood Wed 08-Oct-08 22:20:51

Last time I had tonsilitis there was no pus, they were red and so enlarged I had problems swallowing the antibiotics and was told by another doctor that I should have been sent into hospital. sad My throat was almost blocked off. I had them taken out after this.

Just go to the doctors anyway. They like looking into mouths. smile

KerryMumchingOnEyeballs Wed 08-Oct-08 22:22:54

pus???

will go have a look now.

it's the ears that are worrying me. they are in agony.

girlandboy Wed 08-Oct-08 22:23:28

Had a terrible sore throat, and when I swallowed I could feel a lump on one side. I put up with it for a fortnight because my gp doesn't like to dole out antibiotics, and I knew it was pointless seeing him. When I did go he suggested leaving it another couple of weeks! I suggested in no uncertain terms that I had given mother nature long enough to cure me, and I COULDN'T STAND IT ANOTHER MINUTE! He hurriedly wrote a prescription and I was better in 2 days.
Turned out to be a bacterial infection after all.
Give it another day or so, plenty of fluids and buy a "sore throat spray" that anaesthetises it. If it's still there then go to the docs.

KerryMumchingOnEyeballs Wed 08-Oct-08 22:23:45

I am old and half-blind. I can't see tonsils closely enough

KerryMumchingOnEyeballs Wed 08-Oct-08 22:25:11

they don't seem undully swollen though. throat is very constricted

don't want to go on abs if I can avoid as I had a finger infection a few years ago that was mismanaged and I think I had my life time quota of abs in those 4 months.

avenadrinkofblood Wed 08-Oct-08 22:25:13

Could be a throat infection that's affecting your ears. They are quite close anatomically. I'd go to the GP.

KerryMumchingOnEyeballs Wed 08-Oct-08 22:27:18

okay how about this? How long do these sore throat things usually last?

KerryMumchingOnEyeballs Wed 08-Oct-08 22:27:33

oh and pretty bad tickly cough as well.

avenadrinkofblood Wed 08-Oct-08 22:29:36

It depends. A nasty virus could be a week at the most. If it's bacterial though it could get really nasty. If you went to the GP in the morning then you could get some antibiotics and feel sooo much better in a couple of days. If you don't need antibiotics then you will know that it will get better by itself.

Go to the doctors. They like yucky throats.

KerryMumchingOnEyeballs Wed 08-Oct-08 22:30:35

hum. we'll see how I feel in a.m. and then I will if not better.

avenadrinkofblood Wed 08-Oct-08 22:35:26

smile

I hope you are feeling better.

KerryMumchingOnEyeballs Wed 08-Oct-08 22:37:20

smile

SuperPsychoFabioSaver Wed 08-Oct-08 22:39:29

oh kerry, first the twitchy eye, then the brain tumour, now this.

you are clearly at deaths door.

winkgrin

sounds like tonsilitis TBH, which might well need drugs to fix, so off to the docs with you, hypocondriac

in the nicest possible way

KerryMumchingOnEyeballs Wed 08-Oct-08 22:42:02

grin

but I am really sick sad

KerryMumchingOnEyeballs Wed 08-Oct-08 22:42:32

all has been happening this week.

KerryMumchingOnEyeballs Wed 08-Oct-08 22:43:06

this is what happens when you start going to the gym regularly.

feck it.

I'm going to get fat, I'll live to be 120

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now