Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Keeping periods at bay ....

(10 Posts)
Millie1 Thu 03-Mar-05 15:19:29

My periods haven't yet returned since DS2 arrived (he's 15 mths now but I'm still b'feeding) BUT is there anything I can take to make sure they don't come back for a couple of months? I'm off on hol at end April and really don't want to be bothered whilst away - not least because after DS1 they were really heavy & painful. So, do I have any options which will allow me to keep b/feeding and which don't have side effects such as increased risk of DVT? Thanks

Millie1 Thu 03-Mar-05 16:23:27

anyone?? Please!

mummytosteven Thu 03-Mar-05 16:24:51

sorry, only thing I can think of is the combined pill, which you're not meant to take if bfing. anything progestogen based, such as mini pill/mirena is likely to cause irregular bleeding at start, which would probably be even more of a hassle on holiday.

Aero Thu 03-Mar-05 16:30:35

Funnily enough I've just posted a period issue! Don't know if you can stop them returning as mine have just returned, but ds2 is only having one bf a day and isn't taking that much really. With ds1 I bf'd him until 15 mths and they returned exactly a month after stopping totally. With dd they came back while I was still feeding, but she was also down to one feed and taking very little. Ds1 always took big bfeeds right up until I stopped bfing him.

LIZS Thu 03-Mar-05 16:31:57

Think a dr may be reluctant to give you a mirena if you only want to lose the periods for a few months - cost issue and they are designed for up to 5 years use. Also as mts says you may get irregualr bleeding in the short term at least which wouldn't solve your dilemma.

Millie1 Thu 03-Mar-05 21:23:02

Thanks all! Seems like I probably don't have much choice but to keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't reappear before holiday... must make sure DS keeps up his 4 feeds a day!! Aero, just read your thread ... hope it all sorts itself out soon.

sacha3taylor Thu 03-Mar-05 21:32:43

I an taking mini pill and have been since DS was 6 weeks. I had no periods while breast feeding but bleeding started 3 days after i stopped and it is still quite heavy after 3 weeks! I know this is no help to you but just wanted you to know that there are no guarentees and the mini pill is definetly not for you IYKWIM [SMILE]

HelloMama Thu 03-Mar-05 21:40:46

As you have been breast feeding for so long and your son is now 15 months old, it would be ok for you to resume the combined pill as it is now unlikely to affect the quantity of your breast milk. The amount of hormone present now in the breast milk is also negligible. I would say that if you only want to delay periods for a few months then you could take, say 2 months supply and then stop. Or continue if you want the additional contraceptive effects. As for the DVT risk, it is actually safer to be taking the pill than to be pregnant, so if you look at it that way it may be better to take the pill?

I'm afraid it is very unlikely that a doctor would fit a Mirena just to delay periods for a few weeks, and progestogen only pills tend to cause irregular bleeding at first as well, so would be likely to ruin your holiday rather than make it better IYSWIM! I would say if you keep up the breast feeding you're likely to be in with a chance of no periods anyway so keep going as you are? If you want to get a pill then you would need to decide pretty sharpish though because you are at risk of bleeding in the first few weeks of taking even a combined pill so you would need to take it ASAP to lessen the chances of this.

Millie1 Thu 03-Mar-05 22:02:22

Thanks for the extra info ... it's a catch 22 ... I don't particularly want to go on the pill, esp as we want to ttc no 3 (eek!) later in the year but really, truly couldn't bear the thought of period on holiday. Maybe a couple of months on combined pill .. or take a chance on it. Hmmmm. Food for thought - thank you!

Aero Thu 03-Mar-05 23:21:21

me too millie! Gosh four feeds a day - think you'll be safe enough!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now