Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

what do you call it when you have not quite got FLU, but more than a 'A COLD'??

(9 Posts)
noonar Wed 08-Oct-08 16:33:23

i'm off work with a cold type virus. felt truly awful since monday. streaming nose, thumping head, general hung over feeling, burning sensation in chest. no energy. i am genuinely unwell (but well enough to MN in small doses-so not real flu, as such!) i have been to work with plenty of bad colds. this is more your average cold, but i don't know what to call it. sounds so lame to call in sick 'with a cold'.

i am going to go in unpaid on monday as my job share partner will be off on a course then. i don't want the class to have another supply teacher, and it'll give us a chance to catch up on work missed this week.

i guess what i'm trying to demonstrate is that i am genuinely unwell and don't take being off work lightly, however, saying is 'i have a bad cold'...sounds lame, doesn't it?

WowOoo Wed 08-Oct-08 16:38:00

Yes, it makes you sound lame so just say flu. Perhaps mild flu or flu is better. After all, you've no energy and feel awful.
Had a cold last month but I still had plenty of energy.
So, you have flu...

Make sure you get enough rest, get better soon.

WowOoo Wed 08-Oct-08 16:38:41

Or a virus.

noonar Wed 08-Oct-08 16:41:36

or flu-like-virus, maybe hmm .trouble is, if you say you have 'flu', surely you should be in bed for a week plus, unable to move. i'm not quite that bad.

Marne Wed 08-Oct-08 16:43:54

sending you lots of sympathy, i seem to have it too sad, if dh had it he would call it flu grin

I think its just a virus sad

take it easy

hanaflowerate3scones Wed 08-Oct-08 16:46:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

noonar Wed 08-Oct-08 16:47:25

thanks. virus it is, then.

annoyingdevil Wed 08-Oct-08 22:37:47

Manflu grin

puppie Thu 09-Oct-08 08:51:38

A 'Flirus' grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now