Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I need to take a chilll pill...

(16 Posts)
unknownrebelbang Tue 07-Oct-08 23:56:42

or something.

Last month I was diagnosed with diabetes. I'm coping ok with that news, have already adapted my diet and upped the exercise I'm taking. So far so good.

But, my BP is raised, and although it's improved slightly, the biggest problem (I think) is that my anxiety levels are too high, and now I'm stressing about being stressed iykwim.

I have always been a stresshead, and my BP has often been borderline in the past, but apart from during pregnancy, it's never needed medication. Now I've been diagnosed with diabetes though, it is an issue that I need to address.

Any suggestions, please?

TIA.

Lauriefairycake Tue 07-Oct-08 23:59:16

I don't know the technical answer to your question but I do think it's important enough to call nhs direct.

And very important that with diabetes you find some ways to nurture yourself and lower stress. What sort of things help you when stressed?

Joolyjoolyjoo Wed 08-Oct-08 00:02:00

Depends what you are stressing about! If it's your illness, I find being as well- informed as I can helps me deal with fears. If it's day to day stuff, I find comfort in lists (my house is full of them!) If it's irrational stuff I go for funny books to take my mind off it- not sure if any of that helps at all!

unknownrebelbang Wed 08-Oct-08 00:10:21

Thanks Laurie. I am nurturing myself quite well. I'm eating very well, exercising regularly (over and above the recommended 5 x 30 mins) and resting regularly (best routine I've ever had, tbh).

It's the stressy temperament that I have a problem with - I stress over the silliest things, especially in relation to the DC. It's just my nature (and tend not to stress over big things, but get on with it iykwim).

I realise though, that I need to change that, and tbh that's what I'm struggling with, and then when I get stressed, stress about the effect it's having on my BP.

(I'm not ignoring your advice about ringing NHS Direct - I'm seeing the practice nurse regularly and everything's under control - I'm just looking for some relaxation ideas).

Lauriefairycake Wed 08-Oct-08 00:13:41

ok, when they are acting up turn around and ignore and blow all the air into your cheeks and let it out slowly.

Or pinch yourself on the arm hard, it gives your brain something else to think about rather than raising your pressure.

Burning essential oils like lavender.

Singing loudly - very good to do when they are arguing

<thinks>

RinTinTin Wed 08-Oct-08 00:16:06

Could you afford to treat yourself to a massage or go swimming? Sorry if that's not very helpfulblush

unknownrebelbang Wed 08-Oct-08 00:17:21

I'm not stressing about the diabetes, joolyjj - I've talked to people, read up on stuff, and made changes, etc, but I am stressing about the BP, which tends to make it worse...

I get really stressy about day-to-day stuff (in particular the boys tbh, although generally speaking they're not doing anything out of the ordinary, just with three it sometimes feels like a constant onslaught, iykwim).

Lists are good.
Books are good.

Disposing of the darling boys....wink

unknownrebelbang Wed 08-Oct-08 00:20:58

Yes, I need to start swimming again. I like swimming, and do find it relaxing, so must make the time.

I dislike going for a massage, so wouldn't find it relaxing.

I'll try the lavender. Got some lavender creams too, so will try that.

Will try the blowing/pinching techniques.

Thanks, all suggestions very welcome.

RinTinTin Wed 08-Oct-08 00:54:51

If you've got a John Lewis near you, the best lavender bath milk i've ever used is made by Weleda and comes in a blue glass bottlesmile

VERY relaxing!!

unknownrebelbang Wed 08-Oct-08 20:32:11

Thanks for that rintintin.

Not one close by, but I'll bear it in mind.

unknownrebelbang Wed 08-Oct-08 22:19:21

unknownrebelbang Thu 09-Oct-08 08:30:21

unknownrebelbang Thu 09-Oct-08 16:00:01

Any other words of wisdom anyone?

unknownrebelbang Thu 09-Oct-08 18:31:58

x

unknownrebelbang Thu 09-Oct-08 22:31:46

??

unknownrebelbang Fri 10-Oct-08 18:34:19

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now