Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Question re blocked saliva gland

(7 Posts)
PeaMcLean Tue 07-Oct-08 10:27:00

About 18 months ago DH found a lump in his mouth, inside next to his front teeth. Ignored it for a while, bit it out (!!!) it grew back.

Eventually, he went to the dr, who referred him to the hospital, who said "oh yes, it's a blocked saliva gland, nothing major, but let's take it out". So he's now got an appointment in a couple of weeks to have it removed.

DH is now saying that having bitten it out again (no, I can't quite believe he's done that either) it hasn't grown back again. He's also concerned that they take out quite a bit of flesh when they do the operation, and I guess he's concerned that you might be able to see the scar.

I think he should turn up for the appointment and talk to the surgeon about what is best. It's only a couple of weeks off. The surgeon may look at it and say don't bother with the operation.

DH is thinking of cancelling altogether.

I guess I'm most concerned that this could lead to problems in the future. ie, could it lead to mouth cancer?????

I dunno. What would you do?

rolandbrowning Tue 07-Oct-08 10:39:01

I had a blocked saliva gland. I kept popping it with my tongue and it kept coming back, it has gone now though. My dentist didn't seem to think it was a problem, or need any treatment.

PeaMcLean Tue 07-Oct-08 17:58:54

Thanks roland. Sounds revolting grin

So should he cancel?

Bumping for more opinions.

BoysAreLikeDogs Tue 07-Oct-08 18:00:54

Yes, surgeon will identify best way forward.

I would worry about mouth cancer, too.

PeaMcLean Tue 07-Oct-08 18:06:57

I should add that the hospital appointment at which they said "yes, take it out" was about four or five months ago. The operation is in two weeks time. They're in no rush to get rid of it.

rolandbrowning Tue 07-Oct-08 20:30:07

Yes it was disgusting. Glad to share it with you!

PeaMcLean Tue 07-Oct-08 22:17:53

grinning and bumping grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now