Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

seborrhoeic dermatitis

(6 Posts)
warthog Tue 07-Oct-08 09:43:47

has anyone's child had this, where large patches of skin (all over body) become red and raised, then scale?

how did you treat it and how long did it take to go?

MoonlightMcKenzie Tue 07-Oct-08 09:51:44

Dunno if suitable for kids, but my dermatologist told me to wash with nizirol twice a week.

Definately helps!

Don't think it is something you can cure, just control, treat and grow out of!

ACL Tue 07-Oct-08 09:58:36

My son has seb derm on his head (like cradle cap) and on his eyelids causing blepharitis needing daily washes of his eyelids and eyelashes due to the crusts. If you need to know how to look after blepharitis, please ask. Cradle cap has been persistant throughout his 10 yrs but has got better over the years. Not had seb derm anywhere else as yet. What about psoriasis? Are the scales silvery? See nhs direct for pictures etc. Have you tried emollients etc - seen a dermatologist?

Alison

warthog Tue 07-Oct-08 13:01:53

is definitely seb derm, diagnosed by 2 dermatologists.

imaginaryfriend Tue 07-Oct-08 13:05:45

What did the dermatologist recommend as a treatment warthog?

Not much help but dd was wrongly diagnosed with seb derm around a year ago but in the end we got a brilliant dermatologist at Great Ormond Street who diagnosed periorificial granulomatous dermatitis and she was on antibiotics for almost a year. It's virtually gone at the moment.

imaginaryfriend Tue 07-Oct-08 13:09:46

If I remember correctly we were told that seb derm was chronic and would stay with dd for life. We had to use steroid creams on it which didn't actually help but that's because she didn't have seb derm in the end but PGD in which the use of steroids actually exacerbates the condition. We were so pissed off at the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now