Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

anyone had a barium follow through?

(7 Posts)
loopylou6 Mon 06-Oct-08 19:33:30

dh is having one of these of friday, and we arew ondering how long it takes (sounds like hes gonna be there for a while as they want to track the barium through his small intestine) how unpleasant is it? and will i be allowed to be with him whilst he has it done? (obviously not whilst hes being xrayed, but in the half hour intervals between) TIA smile

katylou25 Mon 06-Oct-08 19:46:33

I had one a ocuple of years ago took about 2 1/2 hours I think. Was just in the waiting room between xrays so fine to stay with him. Not that unpleasant - chalky drink like sweet gaviscon type thing so not too bad to drink although there was a lot of it - then xrays on a movable bed, was uncomfortable as some of them were tipped upside down etc, but not painful at all. worse thing was going to the loo after - a big white concrete UNFLUSHABLE block comes out - and they don't blimmin worn you!

loopylou6 Mon 06-Oct-08 19:50:57

thanks for sharing katylou smile

loopylou6 Mon 06-Oct-08 21:45:49

anyone else got anyhting to add? smile

CountessDracula Mon 06-Oct-08 21:48:41

Yes what katylou said essentially
The drink is not the tastiest thing ever
Plus he may have to take some picolex stuff first (if he does they will have sent him a sachet) which essentially makes rusty water squirt out of your arse at high velocity (it's quite entertaining once you have got over the initial shock) wink

It is to clear out your colon though so if investigation is in small intestine they may not need it.

hotbot Mon 06-Oct-08 21:56:20

yes, would deffo suggest drinking plenty of water afterwards as your stools are harder and chalky white, they are not too unpleasant just the waiting around it a bit boring

loopylou6 Mon 06-Oct-08 22:09:32

thanks guys, it is to check his small intestines, and they have sent him a sachet of piccallax (sp?) which i thought was a bit strange, coz when he had a colonoscopy he had 2 sachets, but this time just 1, and i wouldnt of thought it would clear him out from the top half where they need to see, IYSWIM?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now