Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Unexpected benefit from taking a supplement for cracks/splits on fingers/thumbs

(19 Posts)
komododragon Mon 06-Oct-08 17:04:22

Hi, for many years I had suffered from splits/cracks at the end of one thumb. These were vile - they started like a paper cut, really skinny, but then blossomed into a really wide, gaping split. This would then break open further, bleeding for weeks until they decided to heal - there was no hurrying the buggers - they healed when they wanted to with absolutely no rushing. What was left was a great big lump of scar tissue, which I used to bite off (well, wouldn't anyone?) My GP could only suggest stitching - NOOOOOOOO - that is never going to work if you have ever seen one of these splits in action.
Eventually, I Googled - the best of the seriously mad remedies (I think there were toads in there!) was to take flaxseed oil capsules. I AM CURED! Since taking these, I have no splits/cracks, which is wonderful. A bonus is that after 4 months of taking this, my fingernails, which were always dreadful - 5 decades of weak, broken, pathetic appendages, are now the fabulous strong talons that I always wanted - I now have to file them off cos they are too long!
What I wanted to ask - has anyone else had a fab side-effect from taking something?

wotulookinat Mon 06-Oct-08 18:45:26

I haven't, but I have the cracks too! They don't sounds nearly as bad as yours but I am defo going to get some flaxseed oil capsules now! Where did you get them from?

nightcat Mon 06-Oct-08 19:06:23

Awesome, isn't it! We also had a great experience with flax (seeds in fact), my ds's skin changed from sandpaper-like (which had been like that for years) to silky smooth, despite drs prognosis that it would never change. Wouldn't be without my adjustable grinder and I sprinkle them on various things every so often.

Minniethemoocher Mon 06-Oct-08 19:12:07

I wonder if this would work for cracked, dry heels? My fingers and thumbs are OK, but my heels are awful! I have tried all sorts of creams to no avail.

wotulookinat Mon 06-Oct-08 19:37:49

Grinding the seeds and putting them on food is a great idea! Do they taste of anything?

CountessDracula Mon 06-Oct-08 19:39:11

Did you lose any weight too?
I read that flaxseed oil makes you lose weight(or something)

brimfull Mon 06-Oct-08 19:40:15

what do you use to grind the seeds?

brimfull Mon 06-Oct-08 19:41:07

have a sodding sack of them in the cupboard

lose weight...ears pricking up!!

wotulookinat Mon 06-Oct-08 19:42:13

Aha! Now a definate definate reason to have them!!!

CountessDracula Mon 06-Oct-08 19:42:36

stuff here

ib Mon 06-Oct-08 19:43:25

I had a great side effect: ds! grin

I started taking flax seed oil and zinc for acne. Dh joined me as he had cracks like yours, but on his feet. My acne cleared up (dh still has the cracks though) and, many years after dh being diagnosed with infertility, I got pg!

It was a bit of a shock tbh (but in a good way).

NappiesGalore Mon 06-Oct-08 19:48:00

minnie - you have to use flexitol for a week. it works if you keep it up.

this flaxseed thing sounds a bit marvellous doesnt it? hmmm

magso Mon 06-Oct-08 19:48:13

Started ds on fish oils at about 2.5 because he was/is hyperactive and developmentally delayed (he has autism and SLD). The side effect was the dramatic change to his dry red cheeks and sore dribbly chin!

bran Mon 06-Oct-08 19:50:49

I was diagnosed with diabetes and started taking Metformin and have had completely regular periods ever since (used to have about 3 a year, and they were weird).

brimfull Mon 06-Oct-08 19:51:50

ib-wow how fantastic!!!

Minniethemoocher Mon 06-Oct-08 21:05:33

Thanks Nappiesgalore, Flexitol must be one of the few creams I haven't tried, will give it and the flaxseed a go!

nightcat Mon 06-Oct-08 22:27:24

They don't taste of anything so can be added to most foods, salads etc, for most benefits they shouldn't be cooked. I use either small electric coffee-like grinder or a small hand-held seed grinder (like for pepper, but it has to be adjustable as the seeds would fall through otherwise).
Flaxseeds are good for gut (soluble fibre), and they contain omega 3, good for the brain and for hormone balancing.

WOW, ib, what a brilliant "side-effect" for you!!!

Debris Sun 12-Oct-08 17:57:23

Hello there, Ive purchased some flaxseed oil capsules, how many should I take per day ,does anyone know please ?

Debris Sun 12-Oct-08 17:57:25

Hello there, Ive purchased some flaxseed oil capsules, how many should I take per day ,does anyone know please ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now