Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I am pregnant and my DSD has shingles... Any experience?

(12 Posts)
MarkStretch Mon 06-Oct-08 13:29:39

I am 22 weeks pg and just found out my DSD has shingles. She was here all weekend.

I spoke to my GP who said I should be ok as long as I hadn't touched her skin but I had been putting cream on her all weekend as we thought it was eczema.

I'm a bit worried now.

Anyone got any experience?

dustystar Mon 06-Oct-08 13:30:30

Have you had chicken pox?

MarkStretch Mon 06-Oct-08 13:32:10

My mum thinks I have had chicken pox.

bundle Mon 06-Oct-08 13:32:12

have you had cpox?

FioFio Mon 06-Oct-08 13:32:36

Message withdrawn

MarkStretch Mon 06-Oct-08 13:34:41

Thanks Fio.

So as long as I have had chicken pox I should be ok.

AllBuggiedOut Mon 06-Oct-08 13:40:21

Your GP can easily arrange testing to check you've had chicken pox. I had this when pg with DS1 - I'd been in contact with somebody who had chicken pox, mum thought I'd had it but there was nothing on my GP records. So I was tested, and wasn't allowed to go to antenatal clinic until they knew I was clear!

bundle Mon 06-Oct-08 13:43:08

yes, as long as you've had cp you should be fine. i caught cp at university from someone who had shingles - and I'm pretty certain I had a single shingle (!) which gave my dd1 cp when she was 15 mths..(it went round the entire nursery)

PathofLeastResistance Mon 06-Oct-08 13:47:17

My dd1 had chicken pox when I was 36 weeks with dd2. Everyone got really nervous about me getting it / baby getting it. My parents had always sworn I'd had chicken pox but when push came to shove they had a confidence crisis and said they weren't sure. So I know where you're coming from with the "she thinks I had it" thing. Got tested and I was immune - panic over.

MarkStretch Mon 06-Oct-08 14:01:07

Hmmm I was debating asking my GP if they could check my immunity but on the other hand the damage is done now so to speak.

I spent all weekend rubbing cream into the poor thing so I guess I can't do anything about that!

Thanks for you help.

MarkStretch Mon 06-Oct-08 14:02:26

Yeah, my mum said 'Urmmmm your brother has definitely had it'.

Yes, thanks but neither is he me or pregnant so thanks.

monkeymonkeymonkey Mon 06-Oct-08 14:04:40

Even if you have already been exposed it still may be worth speaking to your GP. You may have been tested already - they checked my chicken pox immunity in pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now