Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Shouting in my sleep. Getting worse.

(7 Posts)
Threadworrm Sun 05-Oct-08 13:55:03

I've always shouted in my sleep a bit, and treated it as rather a joke. But I seem to be doing it more and more -- last night DH and DS both had to wake me up to stop me shouting.

Usually it's just 'No! No!' but I say a lot of other stuff. Sometimes the noise wakes me up. Also last night, I woke myself up by saying 'over-exhaulted sense of community' (I'm sure that's what I said).

There is no associated distress, and although I dream a lot the shouting seems unrelated to dreams.

It is kind of funny, but it is also getting a bit alarming. Will it carry on getting worse?

(I won't be able to respond right away, as I have to work. But I'll check back later, and I'm v grateful for replies.)

Threadworrm Sun 05-Oct-08 15:01:27

I take ADs. Could that be causing it?

CherryChapstick Sun 05-Oct-08 15:05:02

I do it too.
It is worse if I am stressed or worried about something.

whomovedmychocolate Sun 05-Oct-08 15:07:42

Actually the problem is that you are going into REM sleep before your body is totally paralysed (normally your body paralyses itself before you start dreaming so don't leg it about). This normally means you are very tired but not sleeping soundly.

Are you stressed out?

Try a bit of exercise a few hours before bedtime, that should tire your body out a bit and encourage deeper sleep.

Threadworrm Sun 05-Oct-08 17:32:34

Thanks, both of you. I am VERY tired at the moment, but have been doing less exercise. So conking out quickly without switching body off. Back to the gym, then.

whomovedmychocolate Sun 05-Oct-08 20:33:23

Yep. Fraid so. You are probably tired because you are waking yourself up shouting.

If it makes you feel any better I frequently sing in my sleep and can be asked questions and answer them coherently. Worse still, I'm known to be totally honest when I'm asleep so I will tell DH what I think about people etc. shock

Threadworrm Sun 05-Oct-08 20:52:43

That's really freaky. I thought I was bad saying ''over-exhaulted sense of community'. But being unguardedly truthful! Terrifying!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now