Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Thought I broke my ankle but havent......

(5 Posts)
npg1 Thu 02-Oct-08 21:11:50

I posted 6 weeks ago but cant find the original post!

I feel over and landed badly on my ankle, heard it cracking. This was 6 weeks ago. Went to A&E and they xrayed it but said it wasn't broken. I am still in alot of pain with it though. I have been having physio on it and she was slightly concerned yesterday as it's still quite swollen and said I may have chipped a piece of bone off because of the shape but this would have showed up on the xray.

Should I go back to doc and get a second opinion or just except I have badly sprained it and damaged ligaments. I am very lucky I have very flexible ankles as it would have broken if my ankles weren't flexible.

emma1977 Thu 02-Oct-08 21:16:03

A bad sprain can take a few months and some good physio to properly sort out.

You could ask your GP to see if the xray was properly reported by a radiologist. If not, then it can be. They are much better at picking up subtle fractures than most A&E docs (I know, I was an A&E doc!).

Even if it was a small fracture, it is now 6 weeks on and treatment would be no different to a bad sprain.

LIZS Thu 02-Oct-08 21:16:33

They can't actually do much if you have a piece of floating bone though. Took mine 10 weeks or more of physio to feel near right so just gentle exercise should help.

npg1 Thu 02-Oct-08 21:18:02

ok thanks. Physio did say about 3 months for it to heal!

babyignoramus Fri 03-Oct-08 09:57:42

I did this once and it was the tendon that had streched, causing the snapping noise. I walked it off after a few weeks but it was agony to start with, and very swollen! Fine now though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now