Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Scarletina?

(3 Posts)
kaansmum Tue 01-Mar-05 19:32:07

DS (aged 4 and a half) has had a cough, cold, very sore throat and swollen glands for the last couple of days. He hasn't had a high temperature. He started to develop a rash (what I assumed to be a non specific post viral rash) all over his body on Sunday and today it became a lot more pronounced and a few of the spots seemed like little pussy whiteheads (especially betwen his nose and mouth). Although he is fine in himself I took him to the doctor (mainly because of the pronounced rash) who said he had a "strawberry tongue" and a scarletina rash. He also said he had strep throat and prescribed penicillin. He said the rash would eventually start to peel and said to keep him away from school for at least a week.

I was just wondering whether anyone else had had experience of this illness and what their experiences were?

LIZS Tue 01-Mar-05 19:55:27

ds had it at almost 5. It is related to Strep Throat and progressed pretty much as you describe. The peeling wasn't really an issue as we went skiing 2 days later (we were told he'd no longer be contagious after 2 days of ab's) and the Ambre Solaire suncream sufficiently moisturised it, so probably best to keep it moisturised anyway. ds felt fine a couple of days later although he did get a similar rash again about a month later.

hth

MiriamR Tue 01-Mar-05 20:27:39

Ds2 (15m)recently had this - cleared up really quickly with abs and E45 cream - he didn't seem to be in any discomfort. HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now