Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

A pox on all your houses - dd1 has chickenpox, DH hasn't had it, and releasing his inner primadonna at the thought of catching it...

(24 Posts)
snigger Thu 02-Oct-08 09:34:48

Really, if he gets it, how bad is it?

I checked NHS direct online - there was a brief, fourth paragraph down, mention of death - which was all he needed, really.

Anyone caught cp as an adult?

How high are my chances of having to fetch chicken soup and feign sympathy for a 42-yr old pain riddled virus haven?

<There is actually serious concern amidst the mockery, I don't want him to suffer....much>

Elk Thu 02-Oct-08 09:54:00

I have (according to my mother) never had chicken pox. However, I have had a blood test which shows I have the anti-bodies so I am immune. Could this be the case with your dh? He could have had a really mild case as a child which nobody noticed.

The headteacher at dd's school had it as an adult and he's still alive, he did say it was very nasty though.

GreatGooglyMoogly Thu 02-Oct-08 09:54:11

I was 23 when I got it. I was covered in spots and have a scar by my eyebrow as I couldn't stop myself from scratching there (it pulled at the hair) blush. I didn't feel that ill but was very uncomfortable as sitting on spots (on legs and bottom, etc) hurts. HTH.

snigger Thu 02-Oct-08 09:56:21

That helps immensely, GGM, any disease that actively discourages DH from sitting down has to be worth a go...

So it is possible to get a mild adult dose, it's not neccessarily dire?

DumbledoresGirl Thu 02-Oct-08 10:02:11

He is not thinking of shingles is he?

The real question that comes to mind here is, will you, as a loving and caring wife, be prepared to apply calamine lotion to all those hard to reach spots if he does get it? grin

combustiblelemon Thu 02-Oct-08 10:05:25

He's an adult- you can load him up on anti-histamines and painkillers and leave him with a dvd box sett.

procrastinatingparent Thu 02-Oct-08 10:09:16

DH and I have never had chicken pox. At least two of our children have. I was tested when DS1 got it as I was pregnant, and was found to have the antibodies. About 70% of people who say they have never had chicken poz have the antibodies. Although he wasn't tested, we assume DH is also immune.

Chances are your DH won't catch it.

snigger Thu 02-Oct-08 10:48:28

If he doesn't catch it, I think I'll apply liberal coatings of calamine just for the fun of it grin

If he does catch it, and makes his usual performance, I'll treat him with plaster of paris, hard-to-reach areas and all grin

snigger Thu 02-Oct-08 16:08:15

I can't get over this - dd1 has it, dd2 has gotten off the school bus fractious and irritable with a mild temperature, so I'm guessing that's another domino in the chain - and he's STILL the one making the most fuss!

He must be the worst hypochondriac in the world - just checked my phone (left in the car) - THREE texts, on the lines of

"My throats a bit tender, can you check if that's a symptom"
"We're supposed to be away next weekend, that's scuppered if I fall ill"
and, delightfully,
"You'll have to check my back for blisters when I get home, it feels all itchy"

Ignore my opening post, I hope he gets it.

snigger Thu 02-Oct-08 16:08:17

I can't get over this - dd1 has it, dd2 has gotten off the school bus fractious and irritable with a mild temperature, so I'm guessing that's another domino in the chain - and he's STILL the one making the most fuss!

He must be the worst hypochondriac in the world - just checked my phone (left in the car) - THREE texts, on the lines of

"My throats a bit tender, can you check if that's a symptom"
"We're supposed to be away next weekend, that's scuppered if I fall ill"
and, delightfully,
"You'll have to check my back for blisters when I get home, it feels all itchy"

Ignore my opening post, I hope he gets it.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Thu 02-Oct-08 16:14:51

my mum got it when she was an adult. she said it took her 6 months to get over it fully.

dd1 has it atm. she is not ill at all. just spotty. she is feral. she is driving me around the bend. a week off school for spots! she has been sent to my nans to drive her mad with her new tap shoes.

snigger Thu 02-Oct-08 16:26:10

Good God shock

Given the carte blanche of 6 months invalid status, DH's feeble bed-bound wailing demands could stop me mumsnetting till APRIL!!

I take it back, he must not catch this, chuck me the Hibiscrub and a surgical mask!

snigger Thu 02-Oct-08 16:27:08

Double Good God shock

Chickenpox - and tap-shoes ??

In the same week?

What ungodly madness is this you're living through? grin

dooneygirl Thu 02-Oct-08 16:31:20

I got it in my 20's, and I don't think it was any worse than an average case in a child. It was massively uncomfortable, but I've always said I'd rather be in pain than deal with itching.

My sister had it when she was around 10, and she had them on her eyes, inside her nose, and was throwing up chicken pox. My other sister had it, and was only 2 or 3 at the time. My dad had never had it, and didn't catch it with the 2 of them being sick.

Just because you're older doesn't mean it is doom and gloom for everyone. And he might not even get it.

Pushpinia Thu 02-Oct-08 16:33:47

It can be serious though. It might be worth asking GP if they will consider immunoglobulin as this is sometimes given to pregnant women after exposure. It might help it be a mild dose rather than a nasty one iyswim.

tink123 Thu 02-Oct-08 16:34:00

Last year my dh ended up with multi organ failure in ITU and almost died with a temp of 41.2oc that would not come down after contracting chickenpox pneumonia.

snigger Thu 02-Oct-08 16:36:42

Groan, sorry tink sad - as I said, I'm being light-hearted about it, but I genuinely wanted to know the odds of problems.

Is your man all better now?

cheshirekitty Thu 02-Oct-08 16:38:24

There is a really good website about a mans experience of having chickenpox as an adult. Just google chickenpox and adult.

I found this site when I had to rescue my 18 year old dd from uni in April, covered in chickenpox spots.

bran Thu 02-Oct-08 16:39:26

It can be very unpleasant in adults. DH had it in his early 40s and was ill for a long time, and he was lucky that he didn't have complications. Apparently adults can get pox spots in the throat and lungs and other unpleasant places.

You know that your really love your DH if you don't baulk at applying calamine to his scrotum twice daily.

tink123 Thu 02-Oct-08 16:39:56

The chances of catching chickenpox pneumonia are very very low and he is fine now. Even made him stop smoking. Loads of adults are naturally immune anyway

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Thu 02-Oct-08 16:41:21

lol luckily i have no hard flooring. all carpeted here hence the reason she has chosen to pester my nan with her new shoes! she has missed dancing this week. she tried to tell me that if we put her leotard on before she got to dancing no one would know she had spots <they are all on her legs and torso> and she would still be able to go. i was very tempted to go along with this plan.

snigger Thu 02-Oct-08 16:44:45

tell her she can go if she wears this, seashells grin

LurkerOfTheUniverse Thu 02-Oct-08 16:57:23

my dp had it at 43, covered in spots, quite ill for a couple of days

Dr prescibed anti-virals

the spots lasted afew weeks

annoyingdevil Thu 02-Oct-08 20:47:44

I had it last Christmas at the age of 41. Mild flu like symtoms, covered in spots, quite uncomfortable - but I still managed to cook Xmas lunch for 10 people.

It took around 2 weeks to recover fully (but I'm a particularly hardy old bird!)

Tell your DH not to google it (lots of scaremongering)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now