Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Biting my tongue while I'm asleep. Can't stop.

(12 Posts)
uberalice Thu 02-Oct-08 08:27:43

I go through phases of doing this and it gets me down. For the last few days I've been waking up with a lot of discomfort and pain. It even hurts when I talk. Anyone have any experience of this, or able to offer any advice?

uberalice Thu 02-Oct-08 10:15:46

bump please

spamm Thu 02-Oct-08 10:25:47

I would suggest it sounds like you suffer from the same thing as me. I grind my teeth really badly and sometimes bite my tongue. It does have a special name, but cannot remember it. Apparently due to stress etc and there are exercises and things you can do to minimise it.

IMO the best thing is to talk to your dentist - I now have a tooth guard, although I did have to have two teeth taken out, because they had split too badly to try and save - even with root canal

spamm Thu 02-Oct-08 10:27:05

Sorry, meant to say that I now sleep with the tooth guard every night and my consumption of painkillers has fallen dramatically. I only have headaches very infrequently, whereas I used to suffer from them on a regular basis.

uberalice Thu 02-Oct-08 10:54:17

Thanks spamm. Do you mind me asking are you generally an anxious person, or stressed out? If so, did you notice if there was a pattern between your stress levels and your night time biting/teeth grinding? I'm quite a worrier by nature and I'm trying to work out if it's related.

lou33 Thu 02-Oct-08 11:02:12

have you thought about hypnotherapy?

i sent one friend to see another friend of mine who is a hypnotherapist, and he stopped him biting his cheek, slept like a baby for the first time in ages afterwards

uberalice Thu 02-Oct-08 11:16:46

lou33 I might well give that a go. I had a hypnotherapy session once for another problem and it did work quite well. And I'm biting my cheek as I type this! blush

lou33 Thu 02-Oct-08 14:48:50

where do you live? i can recommend a good one in the kew area, though he will travel certain distances to your house if necessary

uberalice Thu 02-Oct-08 15:02:12

Thanks for the offer, lou33, but I'm in Scotland, so it would be quite a commute. smile

spamm Thu 02-Oct-08 15:05:44

Uberalice

I come from a family of worriers and I do think that I am sort of stressed out at all times, but it helps me perform, at work and home, IYKWIM. I cannot tell you whether I can see a pattern, because I just am so concerned about my teeth, i wear my guard every night and cannot trace differences in the behaviour.

I do have a very busy life, as I work FT and travel a lot, and have a young ds and spend a lot of time feeling guilty about being away. I do not feel it affects me too much - no sleeplessness (except recently, but that was because of problems in my marriage which we are working at) or digestion problems, which I see in other family members. But obvioulsy this has being going on for longer than I realised. only came to light when I got a really bad tooth abcess and all became clear. I am quite angry that pervious dentists did not mention it, but tbh I am so phobic that I probably did not give them a chance.

But I know that I am not a laid back person - I like to describe myself as passionate. grin

By the way, it is called bruxism and can also take the form of cheek biting, which I also discussed with my dentist.

Hypnotherapy sounds like a very good idea - if you do go down that route, please let me know if it makes a difference.

lou33 Thu 02-Oct-08 15:15:12

lol scotland would be a bit far yes grin

uberalice Thu 02-Oct-08 16:50:53

Spamm, you sound a lot like me. Good luck getting all your other issues sorted out and I'll let you know how I get on with this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now