Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

pill or coil

(8 Posts)
biglips Tue 01-Mar-05 15:45:07

which one is the most safest or are they both the same? just being curious

Yorkiegirl Tue 01-Mar-05 15:45:47

Message withdrawn

MummytoSteven Tue 01-Mar-05 15:47:15

depends on what you mean by safest - do you mean most effective, or least side effects/least health risks? and of course whether you mean the Mirena (hormonal coil) or a coil without hormones

the coil is bound to have lower failure rates than the pill as the margin for human error is a lot lot less

ime i am sticking to the pill rather than the coil, as when I took the mini-pill i got depressed, so am worried that the Mirena would give me the same side effects, but would be less easy to reverse having that than mini-pill.

biglips Tue 01-Mar-05 15:52:06

i mean the most effective? i know the mirena coil is 99% safe so you dont get pg

biglips Tue 01-Mar-05 15:52:16

or am i wrong?

MummytoSteven Tue 01-Mar-05 15:54:24

just been googling:

http://www.engenderhealth.org/wh/fp/ceff.html

with ideal use, would be similar success rate - less than 1 in 100 women per year using either would get pg

but with typical use of pill would be 5 in 100 women using it per year getting pg

biglips Tue 01-Mar-05 15:58:07

thanks

happymerryberries Tue 01-Mar-05 16:05:09

Depend what you general plans for future conception are, and also what your pattern of sexual partners is like. Meaning no disrespect to anyone, or making any value judgements at all, but the coil can increase the likelihood of getting PIDs, so isn't advised if you have multiple partners.

The hormonal pill is more sucessful as a contraceptive than the combined pill, the ordinary coil is less effective than the COC

HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now