Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Chicken pox experts, virologists Saint George and anyone else, I need advice.

(23 Posts)
Kewclotter Wed 01-Oct-08 21:56:46

I'm on high dose steroids (70mg prednisone if that makes any difference). DS going to a brithday party on saturday where 3 children have exposure to a child who developed CP within a couple of days of playing with them. Presumably will not know by then if any of them have developed it.

DS has had a shit few weeks and don't want to stop him going if any way around it..

So..

How high is risk of me catching it (probably no answer to that)
How bad would it be if I caught it - I'm guessing not good by the warnings i've been given.
How easy is the prevention (immunoglobulins?) for me - I'd be prepared to take the risk if it just means an injection to prevent me getting it
Is me getting a CP vaccine in advance an option?

Any advice?

littlelapin Wed 01-Oct-08 22:04:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Kewclotter Wed 01-Oct-08 22:15:50

advice they give me is "try not to expose yourself to CP virus" thanks helpful. But when you have a slightly anxious 2 year old who's had a terribly unsettled week... well there's quite a lot you'd put up with to see them happy isn't there?

Am thinking if it would be easy to get an injection then I would. I wonder if there is a virology dept someone who could tell me.

stepfordwife Wed 01-Oct-08 22:20:38

are you sure you haven't had chicken pox, kew?
your ma may have just forgotten.
maybe get tested to see?
although, i suppose, even if you had , doesn't mean you can't get it - or shingles - again, i suppose..
sorry, that was as much use as a chocolate teapot, wasn't it? grin
as you were..
best check with a virology dept.....
(glad your ma's OK, btw.)

stepfordwife Wed 01-Oct-08 22:21:57

..clearly i come under the 'and anyone else" tier of advice...

Jennster Wed 01-Oct-08 22:23:25

There is a chickenpox vaccine, but my information on it is in dd's bedroom behind the cot which I can't move without waking her. I'm assuming you haven't ever had it?

Jennster Wed 01-Oct-08 22:25:46

I think you might have to prove you have been exposed, eg presenting a poxy progeny, and off the top of my head they will give it after you have been exposed. Certainly if you are on long term high dose steroids.

SaintGeorge Wed 01-Oct-08 22:30:17

Sorry Kew, was off eating my dinner.

Not sure the vaccine would kick in quickly enough for it to help in this situation.

CP and high dose steroids, not a good mix.

Will try to get advice on immunoglobulins from my ex-boss (microbiologist/virologist) via email, but not sure the address I have is current.

To be honest, with your current/recent medical problems I would try to find another treat for DS this weekend and not take the risk.

Will get back to you asap if I can get better answers for you.

Kewclotter Wed 01-Oct-08 22:36:55

hmm - suspect you are right. thanks I might speak to my GP about whther I can be tested for immunity to clarify wether I am in fact immune but doubt I can get answersin time.

Bollocks. Don't really want to be a drama queen about it but me being ill again would I think finish DS off.

imaginaryfriend Wed 01-Oct-08 22:39:48

Hi kew smile

I don't have advice on this but I do know that CP can be highly contagious in a way that measures like hand-washing / hygiene don't cover. Are you completely sure you've never had it?

Given how ill you've been I probably wouldn't risk it or the vaccine at this point. Your little ds would be happier to have you at home and well than to go to a party and then have you ill again.

imaginaryfriend Wed 01-Oct-08 22:41:09

Think long-term like you are with the prednisolone - this is a shitty moment but you're making all the right decisions to prevent future shitty moments.

Kewclotter Wed 01-Oct-08 23:08:27

oh bollcky bollocks I know you are all right. We shouldn't go should we. Though I was told that you need to be on nigh doses for more than 3 weeks to be counted as immunosuppressed and I will only have been on them about 2.5 weeks by party time, maybe that would give me more protection. [hopeful emoticon]

SaintGeorge Wed 01-Oct-08 23:22:51

Bugger, I am getting a mailerdaemon reply so address must be out of date.

From memory, we classed 2 weeks on high dose steroids (40mg+) as immunosuppressed - that is they would qualify for immediate dosage when handing out the immunoglobulin.

On-hand stocks were always limited, so we had to have a 'scale of urgency' if there was a CP outbreak. You would be high up on that scale Kew.

Vaccine wasn't out in my day so not entirely sure, but I have a vague recollection that most vaccines effectively have the same 'incubation' period as the relevant disease. In this case it would be 10-21 days, so I guess it would take that long from jab to immunity. Plus of course there is the additional risk of actually contracting CP from the jab itself.

Sorry mate but, honest opinion, I think the party is off for you and DS sad

imaginaryfriend Wed 01-Oct-08 23:26:12

Give it up kew. Incubation period for CP is 10-14 days so if your ds contracted it at the weekend that would mean for the next 10-14 days and around 7 days into the spotty stage he'd be contagious. And you would definitely be immunosuppressed by then.

Sorry to be a party-pooper. I may have to be a worse party-pooper myself next week as it's dd's birthday and party. 16 little girls are invited, all excited, and I don't know if I'll be able to do it.

Kewclotter Wed 01-Oct-08 23:27:03

sigh - thank you at least thats helpful. Toruble is that because I feel fine I resent having to behave as if I'm ill. Luckily have not built it up with DS as too much else distracting going on.

Of course first thing I need to do is make absolutely certian that the child in question does have CP and not bloody prickly heat or something like that...

Kewclotter Wed 01-Oct-08 23:30:15

blimet IF we are a pair.

When doctors and phramacists and the like keep muttering immuno suppressed at me I keep having to turn around to see who they're talking about. Haven't quite got my head around it yet.

Pharmacist at hosptial on Tuesday gave me Pred saying "ooh this is a bit of a high dose, you may find you have some side effects" No shit sherlock grin talk about teaching your granny to suck eggs...

imaginaryfriend Wed 01-Oct-08 23:52:38

kew - just an aside, but where did your MN name come from? I keep trying to work it out. What does it mean?

Kewclotter Thu 02-Oct-08 00:09:29

lol my usual name is Kewcumber because I live there and I fancied being a green slad vegetable, KewClotter is a bried name chagne in honour of my restored clotting status grin

Have just checked immuno suppressed should not be given the CP vaccine as its live and possibility of catching CP or shingles.

Think it may be worth asking my GO to tst me for immunity though I might call tomorrow - if CP is going aorund lcoally its going to be a trying few months avoiding it if I may nothave to.

imaginaryfriend Thu 02-Oct-08 00:14:42

You may have to wrap yourself in clingfilm for a while, rather like an, ummm, cucumber portion.

So you live near Kew? Isn't there another poster called Cucumber?

Kewcumber Thu 02-Oct-08 00:15:46

I'm me again...

is there a Cucumber? dunno - thought I was the only one - will go search

(bloody insomnia.. angry)

imaginaryfriend Thu 02-Oct-08 00:42:14

Me too. But I'm hitting the hay now. Hope you get some sleep xxx

madhairday Thu 02-Oct-08 12:45:15

Hi Kew. Not much to add really but sending sympathy from another pred dependant here. Think you are making the right decision, 70mg is a mighty high dose. So sorry tho, know what it's like when you feel like you're letting your kids down being ill. It's a complete bugger. take care.

Kewcumber Thu 02-Oct-08 12:56:57

I have done a bit more research and it seems that Cp spots did not appear until late MOnday night at earliest and snotty nose on Sunday. Have been told that CP is not infectious during incubation stage and that unlikely to be infectious before snotty nose stage.

Am going to investigate if anyone was exposed on Sat or after otherwise we may be safe...

Stubborn aren't I? grin

Still on 70mg this week but can come down to 60mg next week (whoop-de-do!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now