Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is the flu jab safe when pregnant?

(19 Posts)
fanjolina Wed 01-Oct-08 17:02:32

Work are offering the flu jab next week. However I am not sure if it is safe when pregnant (and can't ask occupational health as they don;t yet know about my pregnancy). Does anyone know if it is safe? Thanks.

Peachy Wed 01-Oct-08 17:03:55

There was something on the news suggesting pg women will get it from next year

but

I would check strains etc wit the nurse at your gp's first

misi Wed 01-Oct-08 18:13:02

always used to be not reccommended for pregnancy but advice changes from year to year so not sure, you can always ask your doctor or phone NHS direct for the latest info?

misi Wed 01-Oct-08 18:14:10

or maybe the advice has changed www.immunisation.nhs.uk/Vaccines/Flu/Vaccine/Can_the_influenza_vaccine_be_given_to_women_who_are_pre gnant

SaintRiven Wed 01-Oct-08 18:14:34

I wouldn't tak anything while pregnant. Not worth the risk.
They wont have tested the vaccine on pregnant women, obviously.

misi Wed 01-Oct-08 18:15:42

or www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/isitsafeto/flujabexpert/

as usual no clear advice!!

fanjolina Wed 01-Oct-08 19:35:11

Thanks all. I kept coming across confusing advice when I searched online so thought maybe some wise mumsnetters would have the definitive answer. I will call the nurse at my GP centre to see what she recommends.

Cammelia Wed 01-Oct-08 19:43:19

Frankly I wouldn't go near it, pg or not.

beeper Fri 03-Oct-08 17:06:09

Dont have it, its got mercury in it and that is what they have taken OUT of the MMR in order to make it safer.

beeper Fri 03-Oct-08 17:06:54

Also I had flu when I was 3 months pregnant and was really ill, but things turned out ok.

spicemonster Fri 03-Oct-08 17:08:46

I was about 18 weeks when they were doing flu jabs at my work and they said it was contraindicated in pregnancy. Not sure if the advice has changed now but I'm inclined to agree with riven

ruty Fri 03-Oct-08 17:13:46

don't see why you would want it really. It can't stop you cathing a winter bug, there are so many different ones. Not worth the risk IMO.

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Fri 03-Oct-08 17:14:35

Best bet is ring your GP surgery to ask. I would only take advice on this from a professional tbh.

ruty Fri 03-Oct-08 17:15:08

just to clarify MMR never had thimerosal [mercury] in it but baby jabs did. Now they don't.

pagwatch Fri 03-Oct-08 17:17:31

If women are supposed to avoid certain types of fish because ofthe mercury potentially being hramful to their baby I am not really clear on why a mercury contianing jab should be considered safe.
But maybe I am not up to date and mercury (thimerosal)has been removed from this particular vaccine.

AtheneNoctua Fri 03-Oct-08 17:26:03

It's been my experience that EVERYTHING is not recommended during pregnancy. We get the flu jab at work every year and if you are pregnant you are not invited.

I wouldn't do it. Although I did have the worst flu ever imaginable when I was pregnant with DS. Everyone had. But at least they got to take meds.

RubberDuck Fri 03-Oct-08 17:30:11

There are mercury-free flu jabs, but I think you may have to request them separately.

madhairday Fri 03-Oct-08 18:17:17

Don't think it is recommended, I was told I couldn't have it when I was pg. Think it's not worth the risk really as effects largely unknown.

ruty Fri 03-Oct-08 18:18:46

rhesus negative women still get anti-d jabs with thimerasol in them sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now