Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Rehydration for ds

(12 Posts)
ks Tue 01-Mar-05 10:50:08

Message withdrawn

blossom2 Tue 01-Mar-05 10:52:00

i think thats a great idea for him to get rehydrated because then he wont be tempted to drink too much at once, and then vomit it up again.

DD had that problem - would get really thirsty but drank too much too soon and vomit it up again. I'll keep in mind the ice cubes next time.

ks Tue 01-Mar-05 16:43:20

Message withdrawn

ks Tue 01-Mar-05 16:49:18

Message withdrawn

bundle Tue 01-Mar-05 16:51:40

you can alternate calpol and baby nurofen (ie one dose every 4 hours, but give something every 2 hrs) as the temp does sound pretty high. is he stripped off? i would want to see someone if it stayed that high for a few hours. keep in phone touch with your out of hrs gp.

LIZS Tue 01-Mar-05 16:52:02

Has he got a sore throat too ? - headache and temperature could indicate a strep throat, if so, and he may well be sick with it.

Prufrock Tue 01-Mar-05 16:54:06

How are you measuring temp? Those forhead things can overstate it.
As long as he's not floppy I'd be OK about a high temp - it's the bodies way of killing the vomiting bugs.
Sucking ice cubes is good (try freezing orange juice to get Vit C in him as well) YOu could also see if he facies a lukewarm bath to try to keep the temp down

bundle Tue 01-Mar-05 16:55:40

freezing individual satsuma segments quite nice too. prufrock, how's the ear?

Prufrock Tue 01-Mar-05 16:57:59

Fine - he's finished the AB's and really didn't seem to have any more problems after it had burst. But after 3 days free of snotty nose he started with yet another viral snotty infection yesterday...... Thanks for asking.

ks Tue 01-Mar-05 16:59:02

Message withdrawn

Carameli Wed 02-Mar-05 08:48:10

I would also try dioraltye. I used when dd was 13mnths and had an awful stomach bug. We ended up in A&E and they recommended using this through a syringe, just tiny tiny amounts at first and building it up.

It certainly made a difference and now I make sure I have some in the house.

Fibe Wed 02-Mar-05 09:57:20

KS - how is he today? Hope your DS is back to normal.

If not, when my DS had bad vomiting/poo thing - didn't eat/drink for 7 days. A&E peadiatrician told us:

1. no ribena unless there is nothing else (it does not have salts, which they need for rehydration);

2. as Carameli has said, use rehydrating solution which will be a glucose electrolyte oral powder which you can buy over the counter from Boots;

3. give 10 ml in a syringe ever 10 minutes until they stop vomiting/diareha

4. give panadol/calpol/paracetamol suppositories for infants (I know it sounds awful, but they are the BEST things for getting the high fever down - so easy, and so fast) - can also buy over the counter at chemist

5. if all that fails, call your GP

Let us know how you both are.

All the best

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: