Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I have recently noticed black dots and squiggles in my vision

(17 Posts)
Beauregard Tue 30-Sep-08 21:59:02

I think they are called floaters.
I made the mistake of googling and i am worried now as i cant recall noticing them before.
I am 32 and i have a severe stigmatism in both eyes and i have chronic sinus problems if that makes any difference,
Does anyone know anything more about them?

DisasterArea Tue 30-Sep-08 22:03:47

i had this a couple of weeks ago. convinced myself my retina had detatched and i was going blind. go to optician tomorrow. get checked.
mine are nothing to worry about just seriously annoying.

whomovedmychocolate Tue 30-Sep-08 22:08:53

I think you are worried about age related macular degeneration, but you are about 30 years too young for it to be that, unless you were very unlucky. Stress can cause this as can high BP. Go see an optician

Poledra Tue 30-Sep-08 22:10:51

Have had floaters all my life - hvae very bad eyesight. They get worse when I have been staring at a computer screen a lot, or doing anything else which strains my eyes. I have been told they are nothing to worry about. Flashing lights was what I was told to look out for, as I have a higher risk for retinal detachment.

Beauregard Tue 30-Sep-08 22:11:44

I notice them more first thing in a morning.

PavlovtheCat Tue 30-Sep-08 22:12:37

Sometimes you can get this as part of a migraine. For some people, this is all they get, others get other symptoms too.

I get two types of migraines, the least common one is this, usually I get 'floaters' my vision goes and I feel very very spaced for a while afterwards. I do not usually get a headache with this kind of migraine, but sometimes feel sick.

Winetimeisfinetime Tue 30-Sep-08 22:13:42

I have loads of these and they are very irritating.

According to my optician they are completely benign although if you suddenly get loads of new ones { and/or flashs of light like lightening } you should get it checked out just in case it is a problem with your retina. You get more as you get older and if you are short sighted. They travel round your eye so when they are at the back of your eye you won't see them and are more noticable when you look at bright screens and are in a bright environment.

So they are another bloody annoying aspect of the aging process but are generally nothing to worry about.

WendyWeber Tue 30-Sep-08 22:18:04

I have masses of floaters - they are particularly annoying if I'm trying to spot eg "look at that bird!" in the top of a tree hmm

They seem to go with myopia & although they can be a symptom of something more severe - eg detached retina - IME they are just something you learn to live with.

Unless you suddenly get flashing lights, or huge black floaters, they are not something to worry about. I am at higher than normal risk of detached retina too (very myopic + close relative with detachment) but my optician is very calm & reassuring about it. Which is nice smile

Beauregard Tue 30-Sep-08 22:19:40

Thanks for the replies

I will try and get to the optician in the next few weeks along with the smear test and dentist appointments i need to make lol.

Ellbell Tue 30-Sep-08 22:21:58

I have them too pfnm and I also have very bad astigmatism. They are almost always just annoying, but they can occasionally be a sign of a detached or detaching retina. This is more likely if you are also very short-sighted with your astigmatism (I am also about -14 in both eyes!). It's worth getting them checked, if only to reassure yourself. But when you ring to make the appointment, tell them that you'd like them to look at your retinas. You'll need drops to dilate your pupils enough for the optician to look at the retinas properly, and they will make your vision go funny, so you'll need to go by public transport (or walk, obviously), not drive (or get someone else to drive you). It takes about 3 or 4 hours for your vision to get back to normal. By the way, despite having such rubbishy eyes, my floaters are nothing serious - just annoying! But you've reminded me that I should get mine checked again quite soon, just in case.

jabberwocky Tue 30-Sep-08 22:22:06

It is a good idea to go in ASAP just in case they are something more than vitreous floaters (i.e. hemorrhage or detachment). More than likely you are fine but you really don't want to wait a couple of weeks in case you are not. Call tomorrow.

Ellbell Tue 30-Sep-08 22:23:31

Oops, bit slow posting, sorry.

Beauregard Tue 30-Sep-08 22:25:22

Oh heck now i am bricking it againsad

I am off on holiday on saturday and wont probably get time to go before.

zazen Tue 30-Sep-08 22:33:05

If they're just floaters you'll be fine!

If you're getting flashes and sparks, probably best to get it checked out.

A walk in opticians appointment would set your mind at rest till you get back, if you can't get an appointment with your regular one, but I wouldn't bother if you just have floaters.

edam Tue 30-Sep-08 22:34:46

Um, I don't want to worry you, Pelvic but I really would cancel other stuff in order to get to the optician.

StayFrosty Tue 30-Sep-08 22:41:11

It could be this: scintillating scotoma. I get it from time to time, it is a kind of migraine, as Pavlov says. (I don't have headaches with mine either). It is freaky deaky when your vision gets messed up like that, I hope you get some answers.

Beauregard Tue 30-Sep-08 22:47:34

Hmm not sure it is that tbh

I will try and get an appointment if i can work a time out.

Off to bed in a minute as my eyes are so tired they feel like someone is pulling them.

Thanks for the replies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now