Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does this sound like measles?

(25 Posts)
Demented Mon 28-Feb-05 12:30:10

My DS2 has not had the MMR vaccination, he is 2 years 8 months. This morning he has woken up with spots on one cheek, quite red angry looking and they seem to be increasing, although I couldn't be certain. He has a few bumps on his forehead that look as if they could turn into spots and the same on his stomach, like something brewing under the surface.

I did a quick search on Google but didn't delve too deep (too much info about needing to have the MMR as your child will die etc) it said something about being ill a week or so before and DS2 was ill last week although I don't remember watery eyes or a particular dislike to bright lights (although last Friday he wasn't a happy bunny).

He is not particularly unwell today, except for sleeping a bit long and it taking him a while to get round to eating his breakfast.

DH of course if freaking out and wants to call the Dr out on a home visit (as if they'll do that).

Any opinions appreciated.

Toothache Mon 28-Feb-05 12:36:01

Demented - It could be German Measles. Either way you really should get the Doctor to look at him. It's probably just a simple viral infection, but if it Measles or German Measles then he should be seen by a Doctor and perhaps find out if any adults he has been in contact with have been immunised?

Toothache Mon 28-Feb-05 12:36:33

How come he hasn't had an MMR? Single or combined?

katzguk Mon 28-Feb-05 12:45:59

NHS direct's pages on measles for you, i found these very useful when DD had slapped cheek syndrome!

measles

Demented Mon 28-Feb-05 12:48:30

Thanks Toothache, I've just been for another look on Google and found a good site, it mentions a cough that goes with measles, he has had a cough and still has a slight cough but nothing major like I would imagine they mean.

The reason he has not been vaccinated (he has had everything other than the MMR) is due to my experiences with my DS1 he regressed after receiving the MMR and went from a child who was easily achieving his milestones to a child with a speech delay who was difficult to communicate with. He has thankfully more or less caught up with his speech but I will worry terribly about him, at times I think he shows signs of AS, other times I think stop worrying there's nothing wrong with him. Whether or not this has anything to do with MMR I can't fully say but don't want to take any more risks this way, my DS1 hasn't had his pre-school booster.

I know I should have DS2 vaccinated individually and I have made enquiries but am absolutely terrified.

Am off to look up German Measles now, that didn't occur to me.

We are not due to go anywhere today so will keep an eye on him and phone the Dr if the rash keeps increasing.

Demented Mon 28-Feb-05 12:53:34

Thanks Katzguk, that's a fantastic site, will keep that bookmarked. Just what I needed a photo of a measles rash.

I'm pretty certain he doesn't have it. Thanks.

Looks like DH and I will have to get round to discussing the single vaccines again.

Demented Mon 28-Feb-05 12:54:37

BTW should say he's all for the single vaccines it's me who keeps backing out.

Toothache Mon 28-Feb-05 12:59:46

Demented - that must have been really worrying for you when ds1 started having problems. FWIW the research into the link between MMR and autism has recently been more or less quashed. The single vaccines, however have never had any connection to the risk..... so appear to be perfectly safe. It's just the fighting to get them that's the problem eh!!?

Is his rash raised? If the spots are raised it's unlikely to be measles or german measles (I've had both!!). Raised spots could be an allergy to something?

Demented Mon 28-Feb-05 13:13:49

Thanks Toothache, he has quite sensitive skin so possibly shampoo from his shower last night (he had a major paddy about having his hair rinsed and it is quite possible there could have been a shampoo residue on his skin).

There is a clinic in Edinburgh (who seem above board, recommended by JABS etc) who will do the singles for £200 (although the price has probably gone up since I last enquired). I know I should just bite the bullet, just wish parents were offered a choice, surely it's better to offer single vaccinations (alongside the MMR) than have children going about unvaccinated because parents can't afford singles or can't find anyone who can do them.

Rant, rant doesn't stop me sticking my head in the sand and putting it off though.

Demented Mon 28-Feb-05 13:15:44

Sorry meant to say about the rash, the red bits are flat but the bits that look like they are going to erupt are raised, DH convinced me they were increasing but upon last looking they seem to be decreasing (perhaps related to the degree of panic ).

Toothache Mon 28-Feb-05 13:17:55

Why so frightened about the single vaccines? I hate taking the kids for jabs, so I send DH!

Is he scratching the spots? Piriton will help if its hives, or is causing real itching.

Has he had Chicken Pox?

lockets Mon 28-Feb-05 13:18:57

Message withdrawn

lockets Mon 28-Feb-05 13:25:05

Message withdrawn

piffle Mon 28-Feb-05 13:46:16

does not sound like measles, high temp also accompanies measles and the rash tends to start on the trunk dd also got real nasty conjunctivitis and a dry hoarse cough
dd had a mild dose acc to Doc but still got extremely ill... temps up to 42 deg
hope you get to the bottom of it...

Toothache Mon 28-Feb-05 14:06:16

I remember having German Measles when I was about 10. I felt absolutely fine, but was covered head to toe in a pin prick rash! It was great I got 10 days off school though.

Jimjams Mon 28-Feb-05 14:18:31

doesn't sound like measles to me (he'd be much iller and have a very high temp). When ds1 had german measles it looked just like a heat rash.

Toothache- the research into the link between autism and MMR has not be quashed. Not at all. The necessary research strill havsn't been done and in the meantime vaccine strain measles virus has been isolated from the brain and spinal cord of children who regressed following MMR.

The givt think if they say enough times that Andrew Wakefiled has been discredited then he will be. Unfortunately it seems to be working.

Just like they think if they say enough times that its perfectly safe to put thimerosal into jabs and given them to babies then it will be (try telling that to ds1)/

Easy Mon 28-Feb-05 14:28:56

Demented

Just to say that my ds hasn't had his vaccinations either, won't have combined, am still um-ing and arrr-ing about single vaccines, because my step-son is autistic. If my dh carries any genetic pre-disposition, I don't want to risk my very beautiful, bright son being lost in the fog of autism, and the jury is still out on that one.

Assuming he hasn't caught measles by the time he's 9, I may look at a vaccination then.

Oh, and when I told my GP about this, he said "there isn't really enough incidence of measles in the population to suppose he'll catch it."

Demented Mon 28-Feb-05 14:33:40

One of the spots looks like he has had a pick at it but he hasn't been overly scratching, he is now happily installed in front of The Muppets so I really don't think there is anything too wrong with him (apart from two panicing parents!).

He has had Chicken Pox and I have just recently thrown out the bottle of Piriton that I bought then and only used once but obviously will buy more if he starts scratching again, thanks for the reminder I had forgotten about Piriton.

My fear over the vaccines is just a panic that the single vaccines could cause something, totally irrational I know seen as he has had all his baby jabs but I believe his baby jabs would have had thimerosal in them and with DS1's history I get a feeling of quit while your ahead.

Thanks Jimjams for replying, been reading your other threads recently, sorry you've been having a rough time. Hope things are calming down now. I would have loved to have taken a photo of my washing machine for your DS1 but my digital camera is playing up just now.

Demented Mon 28-Feb-05 14:35:51

Easy, thanks, glad I'm not the only one who can't make up their minds.

popsycal Mon 28-Feb-05 14:42:39

Demented - hope ds2 gets better soon
Just wanted to add that we are in the exact same situation about vaccines with our ds (2 years 7 months) and i have the same problem as you and Dh sounds the same as your dh.

Why is it never an easy decision

Demented Mon 28-Feb-05 14:51:20

IKWYM Pops, have you had your baby yet?

popsycal Mon 28-Feb-05 14:51:36

due this week!!!!!!!

Demented Mon 28-Feb-05 14:53:32

Ooooh, all the best!

Jimjams Mon 28-Feb-05 15:27:08

not irrational at all after your ds1's history. The main reaosn ds2 hasn't had any jabs is because of our expperiences with ds1 and gut feeling. (ds3 now as well I suppose - I guess he's due his first lot tomorrow).

Andy Wakefield suggests that in suscpetible children that following exposure to thimerosal/mercury - a later exposure to a virus (natural or from vax) can trigger regression. Only a theory at the moment, but interesting (and would kind of tie in with what happened to ds1). There's more on his visceral page.

Demented Mon 28-Feb-05 17:49:46

Agree Jimjams there are too many cases that fit the Wakefield research to take chances. Just wish they would hurry up and get to the bottom of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now