Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Am I allergic to Nicorette patches?

(7 Posts)
Celery Sat 27-Sep-08 12:31:46

Just put a Boot's own patch ( can't remember the exact name ) on my upper arm for the first time, about 20 minutes ago. After 10 minutes, it started itching like crazy. Is this itching normal when you first put one on? Is it going to stop soon? Or am I allergic to the patch? To be honest the nicotine withdrawal craving would be easier to live with than this itch!!!

spicemonster Sat 27-Sep-08 12:38:31

It's normal I'm afraid. It should settle down after a while once your body gets used to nicotine being applied to your skin rather than through your lungs

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Sat 27-Sep-08 12:40:34

i got that with the the branded ones and then really bad muscle aches/pains where i had put the patch on. i had to take it off it was that painfull.

Celery Sat 27-Sep-08 12:41:10

Thanks, not sure if that's good news or not, because I don't know how much more of this I can take. It's enough to make me want to rip the damn thing off and go and have a fag. I will try and persevere though, now that I know it's normal.

Celery Sat 27-Sep-08 12:42:46

So you didn't use the patches SSSSBTSS? How long did you try them for before you stopped? And have you managed to stop smoking?

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Sat 27-Sep-08 12:56:57

no i never managed though my heart wasnt really in it. my friend was a really heavy smoker and she is raving about these new tablets you can get.

i tried them for about a week. but my body was aching everywhere after that. i had to keep trying to think of new places to put them because the longer i had them on the worse the pain got.

southeastastra Sat 27-Sep-08 13:20:32

i found the same with the patches, though they were fine for the first week, it's so annoying isn't it because i found that they did work really well.

inhalers are also good but once you stop the need for the nic comes back just a strongly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now