Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

The Pill - can I take an extra week's worth to move my period?

(7 Posts)
olivo Sat 27-Sep-08 11:54:30

I currently take Mercilllon and am probably going to stop at the end of this packet so we can ttc. Is there any way that I can take an extra 7 pills at the end of the packet to push my period to a week later? We're going away and I could really do without it then! Would it mess up my system any more than normally taking it?
thanks for any advice!

GobbledigookisThrifty Sat 27-Sep-08 11:56:09

I think you can run two packets together but you can't just take half a packet.

I've not been on the pill for yeeears though so I could be wrong!

Sidge Sat 27-Sep-08 11:58:12

You can just take an extra 7 days if you are planning to stop the pill completely after that. If you were going to continue with the pills you should run 2 whole packets together and then have a weeks break.

olivo Sat 27-Sep-08 12:20:03

thanks for responding. I thought i had read somewhere that yuo could do a few days extra, have often done two or three packets together( not a big fan of periods grin!) I will definitely be stopping after that, have been umming and ahing for a while!

emma1977 Sat 27-Sep-08 17:29:52

When taking the pill, you can easily amend when your period will be.

As long as you take no fewer than 21 consecutively, you will not lose the contraceptive effect. Therefore, you can easily take 28 in a row and have your period a week later. Even if you weren't TTC, you would still just have a 7 day gap and restart a new pack as usual. There is no need to run full packs back-to-back, but it makes it easier to keep track of things that way.

DarrellRivers Sat 27-Sep-08 17:32:30

Do as you suggest olivo, it will be fine

olivo Sat 27-Sep-08 20:12:24

thank you for your help, folks. it seems kind of weird as, for once, i won't be afraid of getting pg, just don't want an inconvenient period - i LOVE modern medicine! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now