Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

MMR suitable for adults?

(19 Posts)
Roobedoo Mon 28-Feb-05 10:57:57

My GP has advised me to have the MMR jab as I haven't had mumps and with the current epidemic he says it would be a good thing. Presumably I would have to take a break from ttc (I know I should have asked GP, but I forgot - so does anyone know how long you have to wait?) Also, has anyone else had it (MMR) and if so were there any side effects? The GP has also advise my DH to have the jab - any side effects for men?

MummytoSteven Mon 28-Feb-05 10:58:58

I had MMR when 14, and don't remember any side effects. afraid I don't know any of the other answers to your questions.

katzguk Mon 28-Feb-05 11:08:00

i had the MMR jab instead of just the rubella one when i was about 14 too and my brother who was 12 had it at the same time. I think the GP decided in for a penny in for a pound!! plus he didn't ahve any single vaccines. we have had no side effects

Laylasmum Mon 28-Feb-05 11:22:52

You will ahev to avoid conceiving for at least three months but preferably 6. side effects wise apart from a sore arm you shouldn't have any probs unless you've had probs with jabs before. how old are you if you don't mind me asking? Its hust that MMR isn't normally being iffered to every unvaccinated adult just those under 25.

uwila Mon 28-Feb-05 11:29:52

Why can you not just get a single mumps jab? I would n't be so happy about having to stop TTC (but that's your choice of course). I think THOUGH I AM NOT QUALIFIED TO ADVISE, that rubella is the reason you have to stop TTC. I had the rubella jab when I left hospital after having DD (offered routinely to those with low immunity and was told not to get pregnant for three months -- I told her I was never having sex again anyway so that wasn't a problem).

Would you have to stop TTC if it was just mumps? And, how urgent is it to run out and get the mumps jab? Could you wait until after you have the next baby?

lockets Mon 28-Feb-05 11:33:17

Message withdrawn

cori Mon 28-Feb-05 11:33:47

I have never had months either. I have never been advised to have a jab for it. Is it really nessecary.

uwila Mon 28-Feb-05 11:48:43

There is an outbreak of mumps now. So the NHS is running around sticking everyone they can with the MMR (well, not quite, but not too far off). I just would be opposed to taking more vaccinations than made sense. I don't go round sticking chemicals into my system without a good reason. So if I had a reason to go get a mumps vax, I would get it. But, I wouldn't add rubella and measels to it just because that was the cocktail my GP happened to have available. That in myopinion is an unnecessary risk. However, if you are happy to take the complete mmr, then I guess I should shut up...

Twiglett Mon 28-Feb-05 11:51:25

um why 6 months? I would have thought that a single month would be more than adequate for antibodies to fight any virus in the vaccination .. even 3 months sounds a ridiculously long period

Roobedoo Mon 28-Feb-05 12:04:53

I think Dr suggested it because getting mumps in pregnancy has it's own risks and as he knows I am ttc and combined with the current outbreak he thought it was a good idea. I asked if I could have the single mumps jab but he said they only do MMR. I don't have to pay apparently(and I'm 30). I understood it's quite easy to catch mumps and I certainly don't want DH to get it as it's horrendous for men and can cause infertility for them.

lockets Mon 28-Feb-05 12:05:46

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Mon 28-Feb-05 12:10:26

Roobedoo
I had MMR at 18 before entering uni w/no side effects.

Laylasmum Mon 28-Feb-05 12:21:56

i think the reason that 3-6 mths before ttc is advised is due to the rubella oart to avoid any possible risk of rubella infection in the baby.

cori Mon 28-Feb-05 17:18:26

Sounds like another thing for me to worry about. I am 9 weeks pregnant, and have never had Mumps.

suedonim Mon 28-Feb-05 17:50:32

Ds1 (27 at the time) had to have MMR for entry to the US, even though he'd had rubella and mumps as a child and had the measles vacc. He was quite unwell for some months afterwards, vague throat, chest, gland-type stuff.

uwila Mon 28-Feb-05 18:35:05

Just did a search on mumps in pregnancy. It seems that there is an increased risk of miscarriage in the first trimester (only 3 more weeks for you, Cori) but that there is not a risk of birthdefects or being premature in the rest of prenancy.

I know I was never tested for mumps immunity as a matter of course in pregnancy. I would think your risk is very low. But, to be on the safe side you may want to be on the outlook for anyone who posesses mumps signs over the next few week.

But, I wouldn't think you have much to worry about.

The website I just read said not to get pregnant for 30 days (not 3-6 month) after having a mumps vaccine.

cori Mon 28-Feb-05 18:46:54

Apart from swollen Glands, what are the signs of Mumps?

donnie Mon 28-Feb-05 18:54:31

it is impossible to calculate what , if any, the side effects may be.Some people are fine, others react badly. This is somethign which infuriates me - the fact that the NHS has now forced adults into having MMR when they only require a rubella or mumps vaccination. My personal choice in your situation would be to pay for a single mumps jab and stop ttc for a couple of months.

lockets Mon 28-Feb-05 19:01:44

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now