Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DS keeps moaning that his feet hurt - what could it be?

(11 Posts)
VeniVidiVickiQV Fri 26-Sep-08 22:13:13

He is 3.5. He keeps indicating the soles of his feet - not toes or heels or anywhere that shoes could rub. HE's also waking in the night with pain.

What is it?

Califrau Fri 26-Sep-08 22:14:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

VeniVidiVickiQV Fri 26-Sep-08 22:16:58

Yes I did.........?

frogs Fri 26-Sep-08 22:21:12

Growing pains. Special cream will help. Any special cream -- cocoa butter, handcream, whatever. Ds (9) still gets them really badly in his legs. Hot bath in the evening can help too, as can hot water bottle in the bed.

avenanap Fri 26-Sep-08 22:21:43

ds has flat feet, he gets alot of foot pain in his arches. Get him to stand on the floor without shoes or socks and have a look. If his arches are flat then take him to the GP for an appointment with orthopedics. smile

sleepycat Fri 26-Sep-08 22:25:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

avenanap Fri 26-Sep-08 22:26:33

Check her feet. smile gowing pains are normally in the legs, not the feet. Foot/ankle pain can be because of foot problems like flat feet.

gigglewitch Fri 26-Sep-08 22:26:57

I'm going to confuse you now and suggest pretty much the opposite condition to cali's DS, though the same symptoms. not contradicting, cali, honest!!
we had this with dd (she's 2)- sore feet (of no obvious injury or mark), pointing to knees and inside leg muscles, and various other aches and pains which woke her most nights.
On closer inspection she has virtually no arch at all, turned in feet and (as it turns out) all manner of issues with her feet and joints.
As your lo has got to 3.5 before he's started complaining (DD's complaints started the minute she could stand) then it could possibly be "flat feet" / dropped arches etc, which is beautifully corrected by insoles in normal everyday shoes, trainers and wellies smile Try looking, also putting him on a dry floor or newspaper when he gets out of the bath, see what the print looks like wink If he has no/small arch, or you're not sure, then get a physio referral (can be done via doctor). Come to that, try it regardless, as an assessment by a physio can suss out all kinds of postural and walking issues, and refer on to podiatry etc if required.

gigglewitch Fri 26-Sep-08 22:30:10

(sorry, x-posted with about 5 people cos i waffled took a long time to type)

VeniVidiVickiQV Fri 26-Sep-08 22:30:36

Ah. I see.

I think DH had similar flat foot problems as a child.

Am concerned now you've said that giggle, because I have some spine/pelvic structure malformations which are considered to be hereditary....sad

gigglewitch Fri 26-Sep-08 22:41:11

ooohh VVV sorry sad
Have to say though, it is great what can be done with boots and insoles for all sorts of postural issues. Makes it even more important to pester for a referral - get things sorted early so nothing gets out of hand? Although sad that DD wears Piedro boots all the time and cant have nice girly shoes, I am glad that her problems are being dealt with. Saves her having problems with knees, hips, back etc hopefully, for the future. Consider it an investment?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now