Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I had an attack today after not having one for 3 yrs :(

(24 Posts)
pucca Fri 26-Sep-08 17:11:32

3 years ago roughly, i went through a 10 month stint of having these odd attacks at one point i was having 4/5 a week. Symptoms were...

Left hand side of vision going completely, numbness and pins and needles down my left hand side (face, arm, hand) and unable to speak write or think of words i want to say, utter confusion and disorientation.It is seriously frightening as i almost feel like i am not here, and it is like my brain stops working.

I thought it was over, i did get referred and it was put down to migraines as there seemed to be no other explanation, but i am not sure it is that, it seems a bit more sinister to me.

This attack today lasted an hour and a half, and it felt like it wasn't me, i had to ring my mum and dad as i was on my way to get ds from playgroup and was just sat sobbing at the side of the road.

I am going to GP on Monday to see if i can maybe be referred again, but has anyone else been through something like this?

I would really appreciate some advice if anyone has any as it scares me to death, and i feel totally depressed that this has started again.

pucca Fri 26-Sep-08 17:12:45

Btw i did post about these attacks when i started getting them 3 yrs back and it was said i had a narrowed carotid artery then they changed their minds after doing an angiogram, they thought these attacks were TIAs. I was Lilsmum back then.

littlelapin Fri 26-Sep-08 17:13:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MarkStretch Fri 26-Sep-08 17:13:36

This happened to a friend of mine. She was told it was a 'silent' migraine as she had no pain but temporary paralysis and unable to move or speak properly.

Sorry you're experiencing it, must be so frightening for you sad

pucca Fri 26-Sep-08 17:15:53

LL...Yes my vision goes first, i just think it is rally odd that i have gone 3 yrs and not had any at all, its awful and the fear of one coming on when i am out with my dc for eg scares me half to death, as it seemed to come on really quick today.

pucca Fri 26-Sep-08 17:18:16

After todays one, i just felt totally jaded and shattered, i just feel like staying in bed until they stop which is ridiculous as it may have been a one off, or may not get another for a few weeks but it just frightens me so much.

Califrau Fri 26-Sep-08 17:24:24

littlelapin Fri 26-Sep-08 17:24:44

Califrau Fri 26-Sep-08 17:26:32

cositjustisok Fri 26-Sep-08 18:39:45

Hi Pucca...I really understand how you are feeling.....another sufferer here and you have described exactly what happens me...I get so upset when i get an attack because i feel as though it is jsut not me....almost like what an out of body experience is like...if that makes sense.
Either side of my vision can go completely, in part or jsut bits of each. I have numbness and pins and needles down both or only one side of my arm and hand. I am unable to speak, write or think of words I have to say, I could not have a conversation as it would be complete gobbly gook!!!! I hate the confusion and disorientation I feel during an attack and afterwards I am shattered and jsut need sleep. I never get a bad headache more of a heaviness if anything..but thaink that is the tiredness. I have not had one for about 4 years now and the last one very very bad..i still dread the next one. I have had an MRI and was told they where jsut migraines........ JUST..I said I feel like I am having a stroke during these attacks... Dread the next one happening..

Will watch this thread. Hope you do not get another one for a very long time Pucca. {smile}

Honneybunny Fri 26-Sep-08 19:57:25

poor you pucca, i actually think i remember your posts from that time (don't think i left a message, but did read the thread).

reading this thread just described exactly what happened to me last week, and it would never have occurred to me that the migraine i felt in the hours before the attack was linked to the pins and needles (for me it is also left side), the mental block (i also couldn't talk, and actaully was quite panicked about it, the only thing i could tell dh was if he could please call out-of-hours gp), and the blurred vision.

poor dh was really worried, and even carried me up to the bedroom afterwards, as i was shaking on my legs, and very very wobbly smile.

i also hope that you're feeling a bit better now, pucca, and that you won't have another one for a long long time.

pucca Sat 27-Sep-08 00:08:59

Thankyou everyone smile

I do feel much better now, i was on betablockers before but came off them (with GPs consent) as i wanted to see if i could manage without them, i could until now.

I will go the GP on Monday to get a new batch of tablets, i did have some in the cupboard that are still in date so i have started them today.

I have been pretty stressed lately, as i have started a TA course at college, been doing placement in a local school 2 morns a week, and have been running around like a headless chicken taking dd to school (just started reception) and ds to playgroup, so i pretty sure anxiety is the trigger.

My mum and dad were fab and both came straight away as i was too scared to drive plus of course it was totally unsafe and i had to get ds from playgroup, the attack actually came on when i was doing my placement in the school, and i stupidly didn't say or do anything even though the children were talking to me and i couldn't even see their faces...was awful but i just carried on stupidly, i felt like i was going to pass out.

I just hope that these betablockers will work, as i am not sure for definate if they did last time as the attacks had diminished anyway hmm

littlelapin Sat 27-Sep-08 00:14:03

pucca Sat 27-Sep-08 00:15:09

LL...I had read that on here before, i will definately remember that one, thanks for the tip smile

BoysAreLikeDogs Sat 27-Sep-08 00:16:23

I get migraine wth no pain.

Flashing lights, wierdy zig zags.

As LL says the key is caffeine/painkillers and speed.

I have hot, sweet coffee with 2 paracetamols, I get a short warning, a floaty feeling, slight 'gaps' in my vision but if I don't act fast I have to go to bed to sleep it off.

Usually have soe kind of 'hangover' afterwards.

Get yourself checked out, there are stronger medications available.

littlelapin Sat 27-Sep-08 00:17:02

pucca Sat 27-Sep-08 00:18:36

grin God that would be the last thing i need! already hyper enough wink

BoysAreLikeDogs Sat 27-Sep-08 00:19:09

shock

grin

pucca Sat 27-Sep-08 00:19:14

So do you literally have to down a full can of coke with the tablets?

pucca Sat 27-Sep-08 00:21:10

What i don't get is how can your mind literally turn to mush? i couldn't say the word pint (as in milk) just could not get the word to register and come out of my mouth.

I think today i made it totally worse as i did panic ALOT, which was just daft really.

littlelapin Sat 27-Sep-08 00:21:57

pucca Sat 27-Sep-08 00:22:19

Lol.

BoysAreLikeDogs Sat 27-Sep-08 00:31:47

look halfway down this page- sounds like you?

pucca Sat 27-Sep-08 00:43:23

Which one? The aura one? that one doesn;t mention about speech probs though, but other than that, yes it sounds the same.

The other thing is, not sure if this happens with others, but i feel like the numbness in my face last quite a while afterwards, almost like there is a weakness there, same with my hand, it is still a little numb now 11hrs later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now