Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

how to get rid of mucus

(18 Posts)
TracyK Mon 28-Feb-05 09:47:40

any way? steam?
ds (1yo) is coughing and gagging on it first thing in the morning - but obviously doesn't know how to spit it out yet (thankfully).
By coughing and swallowing it - is this their only option?

TracyK Mon 28-Feb-05 10:32:07

bump

melli Mon 28-Feb-05 14:56:19

if there is nasal mucus ....removeing that could help prevent it going into the cheast. i bough a nasal mucus unblocker from boots and its fantastic.it suctions outt he mucus
try the boots baby dept. i think its by NUk

TheVillageIdiot Mon 28-Feb-05 15:01:02

Oh, will love to see the answers to this my dd always has a chesty cough and mucus (It's a no-smoking house) I'm starting to wonder if it's an allergy of some sort. Might try some of the solutions suggested on here.

tatt Mon 28-Feb-05 15:03:22

I tried to buy one of the boots gadgets and they didn't know what I was on about. They looked at me as if I was mad and said they wouldn't recommend it. I'd really like to get one

melli Mon 28-Feb-05 15:13:26

tatt..I remember when I first asked in boots , they also didnt know what I was talking about and got a funny look too> I sought the product out myself int the baby dept i will try find a link to give you info on the producthttp://www.nuk.de
do a search for nasal decongester and you will see what the product looks like

tatt Tue 01-Mar-05 06:59:39

thanks mellie I'll give it another go.

TracyK Tue 01-Mar-05 08:24:58

mucus is in the chest and throat in my ds - not nose unfortunately.
Anything for chesty coughing? he sounded like an old man this morning trying to yak it up!
any ideas for this type?

melli Tue 01-Mar-05 12:04:56

reduce dairy products maybe. I cant think how else you can help him get it up ..frustrating isnt it. cook with garlic and onions both are natural expectorants (allowing the mucous to clear). am sure steam would help too and vitamin c based fruits.

Parker Tue 01-Mar-05 12:32:42

Bought a humidifier from Argos(£30) for my two. Excellent for clearing the chest when they had croupy coughs and mucus on the chest.

kolakube Tue 01-Mar-05 12:41:44

Agree with the idea of reducing dairy products temporarily if possible, always works on me.

TracyK Tue 01-Mar-05 13:31:34

how can i reduce dairy when he still drinks a lor of formula?

melli Tue 01-Mar-05 21:52:56

yeah Tracy I see what you mean ....obviously you cant cut out his formula. maybe just in his other foods try boost garlic/fruit + veg and reduce dairy. hows he doing now? still mucousy?(Sp)

TracyK Wed 02-Mar-05 08:41:22

Yes he was up at 4am this morning coughing his little guts up!
I shall try and cut down on his dairy - but he does love cheese!
Although he loves garlic bread - does that count as being healthy garlic??

melli Wed 02-Mar-05 13:21:49

Hi Tracy am sure your ds' mucus will clear soon enough. I think any garlic is good garlic so load him up on the garlic bread

melli Wed 02-Mar-05 13:22:39

Oh and my ds is a bit of a cheese addict too. hes had chicken pox and its all he would eat

hopefulmover Wed 02-Mar-05 13:23:21

how about nanny formula - still dairy but may be better than cows dairy.

TracyK Thu 03-Mar-05 08:56:56

what's nanny formula?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now