Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

AM I over reacting?

(8 Posts)
goingfor3 Fri 26-Sep-08 14:18:07

DS has been screaming on and off since 9pm last night. He had one feed about 9pm and another at around 2 am. He has a cold but no other obvious signs of illness. He saw the dr this am who said to wait and see. I've just booked another appointment for 4pm. I'm worried about dehydration as he is refsing milk and his nappy at 9am was only a little wet and the one I just changed was dry with a very concentrated wee smell.

Do I wait until the gp at four or go striaght to A&E?

goingfor3 Fri 26-Sep-08 14:20:29

Forgot to add DS is 4 months old.

Janni Fri 26-Sep-08 14:22:16

Did the GP examine him for signs of ear infection etc?

shoedweller Fri 26-Sep-08 14:23:56

How many feeds has he refused? Is there anything else worrying you and making you think of A&E or just the dehydration?

WhatsupDoc Fri 26-Sep-08 14:25:24

IME you'll be waiting at least an hour, prob 2 at A&E. I'd wait for doc - maybe call to try for cancellatiin?

TrippingTheLightFanjTastic Fri 26-Sep-08 14:25:55

Whilst crying is obviously not ideal, I think it counts as being alert, and therefore less of a concern than quiet and floppy, which is what he'd become if dehydrated.

Get rehydration salts (dioralyte or similar) and try that. Sounds like he'll be ok to wait until four but he's your baby, if you're concerned then A&E won't turn you away.

Hope he's ok.

PS also give calpol if you haven't already.

goingfor3 Fri 26-Sep-08 14:26:31

He usually feeds every three hours or so.

GP said his ears are probably popping and it really hurts them when he feeds.

Worried about dehydration as he will not take a drop of fluid and his nappies are dry.

goingfor3 Fri 26-Sep-08 14:27:50

Given nurofen. I feel so sorry for him as he is usually really calm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now