Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

5 yr old, high temp and croup....advice please...?

(8 Posts)
3mummy Mon 28-Feb-05 09:28:03

I know it's infection season and every kid seems to have something, but my 5yr old DD1 keeps getting croup and each time has a hight temp with it. Well I say high, this weekend it went as high as 39.9, but is 38.4 this morning. Am I overly concerned?

She had the same thing just before half term and when I took her to the doc he said she just had a cold, nothing to worry about. I hate to keep her off school, but don't want her feeling awful by lunchtime (which is when she starts to heat up again!).

She has a slight temp this morning and is a bit stuffy nosed, she was up with croupy cough again last night (3rd night), but still seams quite chirpy and she is NOT happy that I've put her back to bed!! She wants to get up and play.

If you can offer any advice I would be grateful, am I being too cautious and should I send her to school? I see other mums do it when their kids have colds, but is it more than that cause she has a temp?

Sorry for the waffling, just worried by it all!!

Cadbury Mon 28-Feb-05 09:30:39

Id keep her off for a bit longer. If her cough is keeping her (and you) up at night, she wouldn't be much use at school anyway!. Have you tried giving her steam inhalations - that might help with the cough.

Hope she is better soon

3mummy Wed 02-Mar-05 11:38:04

Thanks cadbury, I did send her to school the following day and she came home completely washed out and spent all last night up coughing and very poorly .

Ive tried wet towel on radiator and open window (cool air for croup) but I think we are just gonna have to calpol and ibuprofen this one out. Now DD2 has it too , so we are in for a week of it!

Thanks again.

albert Wed 02-Mar-05 12:06:01

I haven't tried it myself but have read that the homeopathic rememdy Aconite is good in this situation (high temp, croupy cough). It might be worth a try. I think you can get it in Boots or health food shops. I don't think you're over-reacting, if she has a temp then something is clearly not right. Personally, if she's not tired and wants to play (inside only) then I would let her, I remember I hated staying in bed when I was like this. Good luck!

WigWamBam Wed 02-Mar-05 16:53:58

3mummy - steam is good for croup. Fill up the bath with hot water and sit her in the bathroom to inhale the steam, or steam up the kitchen with a kettle and sit her in there.

stewart Fri 25-Mar-05 11:33:10

hi, my 11 month old son has croup, any idea how long this lasts? he's been up the last three nights. he seems fine in the day just a bit weezy but he coughs alot at night and gets upset, i've tried the boiling kettle thing is there anything else i could try? poor little thing sounds terrible.

mamabish Fri 25-Mar-05 19:20:46

My 22 month old is recovering from croup. He did start to struggle for breath which was very frightening on Sunday. Doctors was shut, phoned NHS direct who told me to take him to hospital. After some drugs to open his airway he was a lot better and did not have to stay in overnight. If you hear very loud wheezing on the in breath and your babe is stuggling to breathe, go to hospital, they see a lot of bad croup! It lasts about 4-5 days so hang in there!

colinsmommy Fri 25-Mar-05 19:36:28

Just got over a bout with my 19 month old. We had to take him to the hospital and he had to get shots and a breathing treatment. We were told to either take him outside in the night air, or turn the shower on as hot as possible and close the door. Either one should be done for 15-20 minutes. When they are laying down, we were told a humidifier helps. Get it as close as possible to them, and close the room off and turn the baby monitor on, so it works better. We were also told that a high temp usually doesn't go along with croup. When we took in DS he had a 40 temp, and it turned out he had a double ear infection on top of it all. He's had a lingering non-croupy cough, which the dr. said could last for as long as a month, but not to worry, as long as it didn's stay croup-like for more than 5 or so days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now