Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Nausea and vomiting teen for 2-3 days before each period

(15 Posts)
hennipenni Fri 26-Sep-08 11:46:57

Poor DD(13) has suffered with this each month for the past 4-5 months and consequently is needing this time off school. We are going to see our GP next week as she doesn't need or want to miss anymore school (she's in yr9, so it is a very important yr for her). what are our options for her?

hennipenni Fri 26-Sep-08 12:39:42

bump

LilRedWG Fri 26-Sep-08 12:40:31

He may suggest the pill to level her hormones out, so be prepared for that.

Cocolepew Fri 26-Sep-08 12:41:14

My friends daughter went on the pill to sort it out, there are other medications but none of them worked. It took about 2 months on the pill to sort her out, she was 14.

hennipenni Fri 26-Sep-08 12:55:07

Thanks, quite happy for her to go on the pill if it solves the problem.

Cocolepew Fri 26-Sep-08 12:56:19

Sometimes the pill doesn't work, you really need to give it 3 months, if it doesn't just change the pill to a differnt brand.

hennipenni Fri 26-Sep-08 12:57:00

Coco, did your friends daughter stay on the pill indefinatly or just until her hormones settled?

cmotdibbler Fri 26-Sep-08 12:58:04

It might be migraine related - you can get the nausea and vomiting without headache.

As a teen I got nausea pre period, and it completely resolved on the pill

Jojay Fri 26-Sep-08 13:02:19

I suffered from this as a teenager - horrendous cramps, sickness, cold sweats and I passed out once - it was hideous.

I went on the pill at about 15 I think, and it's fair to say it transformed my life - mild cramping was the worst of my symptoms after that, and periods were lighter too.

I was on it constantly until we ttc#1. i was dreading having to come off it, but luckily for me i got pregnant the first momnth of trying, so I never had a 'real' period. Then after DS was born I went on the mini pill at 6 wks after his birth, then back onto my normal pill when I stopped bfing. Am now pg with no 2, which again was conceived the first month of trying, so I still don't really know what a proper period is like for me now!!

Hope you can sort something out for your DD - she has my sympathies.

hennipenni Fri 26-Sep-08 13:03:39

Argh not the dreaded migraine, DD2 suffers with abdominal migraine (according to her paed)due to wheat/gluten intolerance- I think you posted on my threads a while ago when they ?coeliacs with her.

Cocolepew Fri 26-Sep-08 13:07:15

She stayed on it, it transformed her life. She was vomiting non stop for 2 days, fainting etc.

hennipenni Fri 26-Sep-08 13:08:05

Jojay, I had forgotten about the sweats. Her periods are quite light at the moment but very long.

hennipenni Fri 26-Sep-08 13:09:03

thanks, it's rassuring to hear that she won't have to put up with it each month.

Cocolepew Fri 26-Sep-08 13:09:50

smile hope you get her sorted

cmotdibbler Fri 26-Sep-08 13:12:45

Henni - yes, I think that was me. As I think about it, the cyclic vomiting for me started at 17 when I went on the pill, so maybe my PMT nausea went into that when I went on the pill. Who knows ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now