Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Periods have stopped- not pregnant

(16 Posts)
readyfornum2 Fri 26-Sep-08 08:12:36

Wondering if anyone can help?
I am 26 and have always had a regular 28 day cycle.
The last 2 months I havent had a proper period, I have just had a little spotting (not needed to use anything) and this month it has gone totally awol!!
I have done numerous tests (last one this morning) and they were all bfn so not pregnant.

I lost 7 stone between march and august and think this might have something to do with it but the information that I found says about too little body fat but my bmi was only 24 (healthy) and I have since put on a stone to try and help but still nothing!!

Has this happened to anyone else?
We have just decided to ttc number 2 which is a bit difficult when my periods have decided to screw up!!

Any help/advice would be gratefully recieved x

missingtheaction Fri 26-Sep-08 08:17:01

I would guess it's the weight fluctuation - 7 stone in 6 months seems a lot of weight to lose (congratulations too, but a bit drastic?) - enough to throw your body into thinking that there's a bit of a famine on and now is NOT the time to have a baby. BMI of 24 is healthy - certainly not too low to get pregnant. Maybe try to stabilise at around bmi of 24 for a few months?

I would definitely see doctor anyway though.

cali Fri 26-Sep-08 08:24:40

I am NOT suggesting that you are, but I know very close to a friends daughter who has recently been diagnosed as being anorexic and her periods stopped in May. (they reckon she has been for about a year)

She was only 10st 4lbs this time last year (and 5'7''), she now weighs 7st 8lbs.

If your bmi was in the healthy range, did you really need to lose 7 stones?
It might be due to your weight loss but I would definitely check with your gp.

Pushpinia Fri 26-Sep-08 08:28:18

Mine stopped when I was anorexic as well, I started as around 8.5 stone and went down to about 7, initially that was when they stopped I think - then down to 6 at the worst.
They came back after four years, I think when I reached 8 stone again. I was really pleased smile

btw am 5ft7 as well Cali

SlurZoom Fri 26-Sep-08 08:30:14

I think a trip to the gp might be order, just to exclude other things and to get referred to nutritionist to get help gaining weight.

I would strongly suspect the weight loss as the culprit.

cali Fri 26-Sep-08 08:32:34

<<Pushpina, hope you don't mind me asking, I've known her since she was 2 and view her as my little sister, what is the best way I can support her and her mum?>>

sorry for hijack readyfornum2 blush

Pushpinia Fri 26-Sep-08 08:44:11

Hi Cali - i think the best way is to be around in a supportive way, but don't talk about food or how to make her eat, unless she asks you.

I hated peopel saying 'what about this' and 'try this' and 'surely you can see that...' because I could not explain it. It was irrational and I was fighting my demons myself but nobody seemd to understand that you can't rationalise with irrational behaviour.

I liked people to treat me as 'me' without seeing the illness as me, if that makes sense. Try not to judge her for it.

HTH and sorry too for the hijack! blush

Pushpinia Fri 26-Sep-08 08:45:18

You will be valuable to her as a friend/big sister, don't avoid her whatever you do smile

readyfornum2 Fri 26-Sep-08 08:50:34

Just wanted to confirm that I am definately not anorexic!

I weighed 17 1/2 stone and went down to 10 1/2 and now weigh 11 1/2 stone (so definately did need to lose the weight lol)wink

I think I will make an appointment to the the dr.

Its horrible though because I got caught by accident with ds (2) when I was 15 stone now I am a healthy weight my body has stopped working properly hmm

missingtheaction Fri 26-Sep-08 08:54:35

Periods stop (among other reasons) when your body thinks it's a bad time to be pregnant. if you were losing a stone a months for the past 6 months it's not your actual weight that's the issue, it's the change in weight. your poor body must think it's got stuck in the sahara or something!! Unless the doctor finds anythign significant give it a couple of months of healthy eating at a healthy weight.

Anna8888 Fri 26-Sep-08 08:56:16

The rapid weight loss is very likely to have something to do with it - my periods disappeared for four years when I lost a lot of weight/was very busy and exhausted at work.

What is your BMI?

readyfornum2 Fri 26-Sep-08 08:59:47

My bmi is currently 26

cali Fri 26-Sep-08 09:33:58

thanks pushpinia, she's going to stay with me during the holidays for a little while, so will just keep things as normal as possible.

readyornum2, hope you get some answers from your gp

readyfornum2 Fri 26-Sep-08 09:54:46

Well rang the docs and I have an appointment for the 15th october!

I really hope my body can get back to normal
I lost weight especially for a baby and now I feel like I have ruined my chances!

Rose100 Fri 26-Sep-08 10:12:30

You haven't ruined your chances re baby. I have always had irregular or absent periods for years at a time, but got pregnant twice after having had no periods for about a year. I've always been on the thin side, but have recently (age 35) put on quite a lot of weight (now size 12), and have had regular periods for the first time in my life although they have mysteriously disappeared again over the last few months. Have a scan/hormone tests for PCOS, just in case, but most likely related to weight loss. As I say, not to say you aren't ovulating.

Anna8888 Fri 26-Sep-08 10:22:52

Don't worry, I had no periods at all between ages 31 and 35, and got pregnant very quickly and easily at 36 (MCd) and 37 (have lovely DD).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now