Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tooth extracted on Tuesday - in pain now

(8 Posts)
IdrisTheDragon Fri 26-Sep-08 00:08:45

Had a lower molar out on Tuesday. Was mainly all right after it was done, felt a bit ropey yesterday (but realised that was probably due to lack of food).

Today I have what feels like a little lump of bone/tooth in the gum where the extraction was. Has anyone else had this? And also getting shooting pains around the extraction point as well - not constantly but enough to be painful.

How long until I feel normalish again?

snowleopard Fri 26-Sep-08 00:12:50

Yes I had exactly this - it was fine at first, then it got much worse and I felt ill - also felt a hard bit which may have been a stitch.

If it's the same thing you need to go to the dentist and ask for antibiotics to deal with any infection, and also get Corsodyl mouthwash (from chemist or supermarket) and use it loads - really works. But I left mine too long and it got really bad before I got the antibiotics, so do it asap.

avenanap Fri 26-Sep-08 00:17:46

Your supposto wash it out with hot salt water for 2 days, then corsodyl. It shouldn't be really painful though, go back so they can check it.

IdrisTheDragon Fri 26-Sep-08 00:18:04

Thank you - I had a wisdom tooth out a few months ago and that wasn't as bad.

I did have an abscess and had anti-biotics before the extraction. When it was being extracted there was one really painful part when the dentist said it was going through the infection. So I wouldn't be surprised if there still is infection.

Don't think my hard bit is a stitch - it seems harder and more bone like smile.

Will see how I am tomorrow and call the dentist and see what they suggest.

IdrisTheDragon Fri 26-Sep-08 00:18:29

Have been doing hot salt water (lovely stuff isn't it?)

avenanap Fri 26-Sep-08 00:21:19

Blugh!

Poor you. I had a tooth taken out in Jan. One of the worst experiences of my life! sad

I don't think the stitch them. Is the clot still there? If you rinse too hard you can get rid of the clot which will open the site up and hurt like hell. It will need packing if this has happened. I had an infection in mine, felt soooo much better when he cleaned it out and packed it.

IdrisTheDragon Fri 26-Sep-08 00:24:06

My wisdom tooth site did get stitched, but not this one.

Think I'll try sleep now - it is rather late <hopes for DS and DD to not wake up too early, as DH is about 400 miles away>

avenanap Fri 26-Sep-08 00:26:43

sad Ibuprofen should help a bit. Give the dentist a call in the morning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now