Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

calling misi..... on erythrasma

(8 Posts)
nightcat Wed 24-Sep-08 19:38:11

.. in a teenager due almost certainly some immunity issues, looked it up and I am now also worried about diabetes (no other symptoms in that respect, no getting up at night even).
Gluten-free for 3 years and trying to stay low carb as much as poss (not completely tho).
Suspect issues with pancreas, don't know how to help it yet...
Any good advice welcome, as don't want to do full-blast antibiotics.
PS. Do you work near London at all?

misi Wed 24-Sep-08 20:43:45

its not something I have ever worked on before, will have a read up and get back to you

nightcat Wed 24-Sep-08 21:11:15

thank you misi, I understand and will happily wait (we are so rare that most doctors don't know much either, so we just go it alone mostly)

misi Wed 24-Sep-08 23:09:29

hmm
interesting articles on this!!

if you don't mind I will write properly tomorrow after I have digested the research papers a bit more

misi Wed 24-Sep-08 23:10:38

any extra detail though would be helpful, like age, sex, how bad, where the patches are etc?

nightcat Thu 25-Sep-08 11:10:15

age 16, male, groin, started as supposed fungal infection, but now it's bacterial - despite ointments etc??

Keeps clean and dry as far as poss, but after a decade of malabsorption and gluten-related neurological symptoms, had very quickly put on weight (not overweight as such any more) - this probably contributed.

Gluten damage almost certainly affected his general metabolism and gut, so he emerged from "starved" period and we are rebuilding him slowly.

ALso has impaired DNA repair, doesn't really help in the overall scheme of things, but we don't give up easily as improvement on gluten free was simply staggering and defied all drs prognosis.

Where do I find someone like you locally? Tried 2 but they were out of their depths..

misi Thu 25-Sep-08 13:05:18

yes, I can well imagine. I will have a revision of the research so far as your details change things a bit given the other problems.

did you try the www.NIMH.org.uk website to find a herbalist locally? you can also e mail them with your specific needs to see if they have someone they can reccommend. unfortunately, I am not ''in practice'' at the moment, but will help as much as I can now.

removing gluten from the diet even if not gluten intolerant often improves overall health as the intestines are less taxed. like dairy, gluten also helps to form mucus in the intestines so removal of this will produce less mucus. mucus in turn will gunk up the absorption pathways leading so reducing mucus forming foods leads to better nutirent up take. saying this then, does he still have dairy? if so, try to cut dairy produce down as much as possible.
has your son had any blood testsd recently? if so what were they for and what were the results? (if you don't want to post on here either cat me or I have a temporary e mail of travacholovik@aol.com)

nightcat Thu 25-Sep-08 20:29:49

emailed you misi, any comments will be gratefully received!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now