Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mumsnet gurus, should I let my mum who has chicken pox come to stay with my 9monthold?

(7 Posts)
sushistar Wed 24-Sep-08 18:55:01

She's had chicken pox for the second time (! unusual but possible, apparently) and the spots are fading, but still there. She's more than happy to stay away, but I don't get to see her often and have been really looking forward to her visit.

Do you think ds, 9 months, is likely o catch it - and would it be really awful if he did? Is it too young?

sushistar Wed 24-Sep-08 18:55:23

ps I'm breastfeeding him and I've had it before...

RubySlippers Wed 24-Sep-08 18:57:26

I think that CP is infectious BEFORE the spots come out

if your mums are fading then you should be ok

My DS had CP at 11 months and i am glad we got it out of the way - he wasn't terribly poorly but very, very spotty

SoupDragon Wed 24-Sep-08 19:01:12

I think as they're fading it would be fine. CP is infectious both before and after the spots have come out.

missingtheaction Wed 24-Sep-08 19:01:17

it depends if you have got the time and space to look after him if he gets it. if he's at nursery or a childminder or something you might want to avoid it but if you are sahm with no dcs there is no time like the present - especially if you have your mum on hand tohelp out! for both my dcs frankly they suffered more with colds, it was the spots that were the problem but it's over with pretty quickly. But i had it for the 2nd time at 14 and was off school for 6 weeks.

teenspirit Thu 25-Sep-08 13:05:57

Maternal antibodies start wearing off at approx 6 weeks and breastfeeding will not totally protect. Chicken pox is infectious up to 4 days before the spots come out till they all fully crust over (7-10days).
My son had it when he was 2 and my daughter 2weeks old - I was bf and she never caught it but most of the young siblings of the other pre-schoolers did so I would guess that at 9 months yours would too. Having said that best to get it over with when they are young especially if female as can be very dangerous in pregnancy and 9 months isn't too young for it to be that serious although in tiny babies it can be really nasty.
Personally I would not knowing infect a child as if they are one of the unfortunate ones who suffer rare complications you would never for give yourself but that's just me I'm a pessimist!!!

amazonianwoman Thu 25-Sep-08 13:29:53

If it were me I'd invite her over, esp if the spots are fading. Both mine have had CP (at 2yrs and at 14mths) will no real ill effects.

But then I am a product of the 1960s, when our mums used to have chicken pox coffee mornings so that we could all get it over & done with grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now