Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

what happens when an operation is cancelled - twice

(20 Posts)
southeastastra Wed 24-Sep-08 18:20:10

dads op has been cancelled twice. this time he has been at the hospital all day and they just cancelled it.

i can't find him, he just left.

lilymolly Wed 24-Sep-08 18:21:49

depends why it was cancelled
if it was due to his health then this is reasonable- if it was for some other reason, then this is unacceptable and I would contact either the Theatre manager of the hospital or the PALs service

southeastastra Wed 24-Sep-08 18:23:56

was cancelled due to other more important ops i imagine. my poor dad he is 78 and hasn't eaten since yesterday. he's been at the hospital all day and they wouln't let anyone stay with him. i'm so mad i could cry

saralou Wed 24-Sep-08 18:44:13

they have to do it the 3rd time! they really can't cancel again

is it elective surgery ?

your poor dad

platypussy Wed 24-Sep-08 18:44:32

SEA your poor dad. This just shouldnt happen. Once is bad enough and I think if it has happened once then the patient
should automatically be first on the operating list next time so that it cannot happen twice. I hope you can get in contact with your dad soon. Do you think he has possibly gone for something to eat?

southeastastra Wed 24-Sep-08 18:58:29

i hope he has gone to get some food, it's not a local hospital though he'll have to get a tube and bus - we can't understand why he didn't call us, we've been waiting to pick him up. was for a hernia op

lilymolly Wed 24-Sep-08 20:14:38

If he is listed for elective surgery he SHOULD not be dropped off for other more urgent cases, thats what they have trauma theatre lists for.
Its more likely to be lack of staff or equipment or even lack of time if the list over ran.
Insist on him being first on the list next time.
I really would kick off about this and find out the exact reason for the cancellation- it has to be noted for audit purposes

southeastastra Wed 24-Sep-08 20:21:04

thanks lily, we are all worn out by it, i shall contact the manager as you suggested earlier. is it best to write or call?

he has just turned up. i think he feels guilty being picked up when he's had nothing done. we have been frantic with worry.

he says that he's priority now for the op, although they said that when they cancelled the last one.

used2bthin Wed 24-Sep-08 20:27:33

I'm pretty sure they can't do it again. DD's op was cancelled twice last year, the second time it was very short notice and when I got very upset being told the news they said it is policy not to cancel anyone more than twice. Whether that is NHS policy though or our hospital policy I don't know. Sorry to hear its happened to your Dad too, its horrible as you mentaly prepare for it and just want it over with.

lilymolly Wed 24-Sep-08 20:30:59

If it where me I would request a visit with the consultant surgeon to discuss the exact reasons why and how it will be prevented in the future.
I would also speak to either the theatre manager or the ward manager.
Its totally unacceptable honestly I work in theatres and you would be amazed at why pats are cancelled. some more common reasons are trays or equipment not arriving or not even ordered shock

I would call the manager- maybe change where he gets the operation done- which hospital is this?

southeastastra Wed 24-Sep-08 20:34:35

royal free, the consultant said it was the only place he did the ops though we are nearer barnet/edgware.

there were two of them waiting from 7am this morning, both were cancelled.

lilymolly Wed 24-Sep-08 20:37:55

terrible
please follow this through.
No advice regarding hospital as I work in North East
Hope your dad gets the op soon x

southeastastra Wed 24-Sep-08 20:41:51

thanks lily for being so helpful, we will complain he has been waiting since feb for op too, hospitals are ridiculously busy round here.

lilymolly Wed 24-Sep-08 20:45:37

new guidelines from government for any patient is "from the patient presetning to the GP untill the operation is 18 weeks"
or else the hospital will be failing.
I would suggest you quote this when you complain.
Can you afford private? that is another option ot he can opt to have his op at another hostpial under the choose and book system but that may add more delays.
Anyhow whatever you decide, hope everything goes ok. x

southeastastra Wed 24-Sep-08 20:49:32

18 weeks is a joke, i've been waiting for an op for months too.

i did have a quick google for private prices but they don't seem to want to put them on the websites.

lilymolly Wed 24-Sep-08 20:53:54

honestly the PCT has to treat you within 18 weeks or else the hospital will get fined and lose money from PCT

lilymolly Wed 24-Sep-08 20:55:31

this link may help you kick some arse

southeastastra Wed 24-Sep-08 21:07:36

when they say 18 weeks from referral to treatment do they mean first hospital appointment or operation?

the link looks helpful will have a good read

lilymolly Wed 24-Sep-08 21:08:43

Operation I think
link will provide more info

southeastastra Wed 24-Sep-08 21:20:00

it's really not fair to let a 79 year old man starve and sit around all day, thanks for your help will let you know what happens!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now