Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Somebody please tell me to get a grip - I am thinking of cancelling my Gynae appointment on Friday!

(7 Posts)
bebespain Wed 24-Sep-08 15:50:09

I am so worried about this I even dreamt about it last night.

Briefly, I have been having mid-cycle bleeding and have been referred to a Gynae and I am terrified. I am sure its nothing serious but I am so nervous about what the Gynae will do, I am convinced there will be some sort of internal examination involved and that it won´t be pleasant.

I am in Spain and the Docs here aren´t really know for their bed-side manner. They´re not ususally gentle ifyswim - HELP!

I know deep down I should go and that I will regret it if I cancel but I am imagining allsorts, all horrible. Please can somebody tell me to get a grip, I´m 35 FGS!!

Bridie3 Wed 24-Sep-08 16:00:17

Get a grip. What's going on in your imagination is probably far worse than reality.

Cies Wed 24-Sep-08 16:00:31

Oh bebespain, I know what you mean about bedside manner. But, you know in your heart of hearts that you must get this looked at.

I know you´ve probably thought of this, but can anyone go with you?

I´d definitely make a list of anything you want to ask, and take it out before you go in so it´s at hand. And take notes of what they say to you. In a foreign language I find that some things just don´t ´stick´, so when I leave the docs I can´t remember exactly what they said.

wrt the exam, yes, they´ll probably do some sort of internal. Just take deep breaths and think of something nice. Practicalities wise, I find it better to wear a proper shoe instead of sandals cos my heels hurt on the stirrups.

Bridie3 Wed 24-Sep-08 16:00:56

Oh, and best of luck with the appointment. I hope you have a lovely, gentle Spaniard.

Cies Wed 24-Sep-08 16:02:37

oh, and if gyynae says she´s going to do an eco, make sure you wee before it (in my hosp there´s a loo in the little room where you have to get changed)

I got told off for not urinating when I went to have a m/c confirmed shock

bebespain Wed 24-Sep-08 16:20:56

Thanks Bridie3 - I know what you mean about imagination being worse than reality, we´ll see!

Thanks Cies - some good advice there, especially the note taking, I have often come out trying to remember exactly what was said, especially when I´m so nervous

Aero Wed 24-Sep-08 16:48:35

I'm going through something similar atm and I understand your fears. I've had my initial examination and it wasn't as bad as I'd feared. The gynacologist (sp?) was very gentle. I've since had to return for an internal scan and will also be having a hysteroscopy (camera in uterus) soon. for that I'll be having a GA as I've had pain before when GP tried to insert a mirena (which I'm having that done at the same time to help with symptoms) due to retroverted uterus. All sounds very complicated, but following the two appts I've already had, I don't feel too nervous about it any more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now