Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

MIL has had stroke - questions about after discharge

(7 Posts)
alittleteapot Tue 23-Sep-08 20:16:19

Hi, my fit and healthy 68 year old MIL has had a stroke. It's left side weakness with slurred speech and some confusion. It's early days and there's no sense yet of how much she'll recover but her life is not thought to be in danger. I know a bit about recovery, and that it can be a long process. What I'm wondering is what happens when stroke patients are discharged from hospital. She lives alone many miles from her sons. Till now she's been an extremely fit, active and independent person - always on the go. I'm worried about what next for her and would be interested to hear other experiences of ways she can be helped.

TIA.

ckc Tue 23-Sep-08 20:23:25

sorry to hear that love,it will be hard for her having been so active, how is she for getting dressed and preparing meals etc....smile X

RustyBear Tue 23-Sep-08 20:28:51

My MIL had a stroke about three years ago & has had a couple of mini strokes since. (She's 82 btw) After the first her speech was very impaired, but it has recovered a lot since, and the last mini stroke only had a temporary effect.

She does have quite a lot of communication difficulties - mainly because she has problems thinking of the right word - for example she was trying to say 'I wish I had a stronger personality' & instead came out with 'stronger cup of tea' - and I remember once she slightly stunned DH by telling him her neighbour had 'callgirls' round instead of 'callers'.
The hospital said she needed to practice talking, and we shouldn't try to finish her sentences for her.
She also finds music helpful - I'm not sure if that was her own idea or if someone suggested it, but she sings a lot & finds she can remember the words to songs she used to sing years ago - she is sure this helps her with her speech.

This site has a lot of information.

alittleteapot Tue 23-Sep-08 20:35:01

THanks very much - yes just been looking at that site - will keep going through it. It's v early days - only happened on Sunday night, but the first doctor said she might go home in 3 or 4 days. Haven't had an update on this - maybe that was way out - but I'm worrying that they may say she has to go home and receive rehab care as an outpatient. She can move but is very weak and sounds like she's having continence problems too. She's a bit confused but her speech is ok cognitively just slurred. How long did your MIL spend in hospital RustyBear?

RustyBear Tue 23-Sep-08 20:48:22

It sounds awful teapot, but I really can't remember. She had the stroke one Saturday morning and I know she was still in hospital the next weekend - I'd guess about 10 days to a fortnight.

FabioVicePeeperPlopper Tue 23-Sep-08 20:51:14

She should have a social care package arranged before she leaves hospital.

alittleteapot Tue 23-Sep-08 21:11:11

just spoke to dh - sounds like she'll be in a couple of weeks at least. feel relieved to know she's in good hands. thanks all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now