Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

my eyesight is weird tonight -never happened before do I see Gp or who?

(23 Posts)
brimfull Tue 23-Sep-08 19:59:37

a bit like when you get caught in flash bulb.

It is worse in right eye,sort of like shimmerry arc distrubing my vision.

Anyone ny ideas

I am pretty sure I have an eye infection that I have been meaning to get ab's for for a while now.Slight discharge and itchy eyes.

Btw don't wear glasses,well very very mild reading ones only

avenanap Tue 23-Sep-08 20:05:25

I'd go to A&E so they can have a look. If it is sudden then it should be checked out as soon as you can. Eye infections can be nasty and dangerous so I wouldn't leave it.

NHS direct can give you better advice than MN though. smile

harpomarx Tue 23-Sep-08 20:06:25

I had something like this once, no idea what it was but it was very weird. A kind of rainbow effect, if I remember.

I thought at the time it might be the precursor to a migraine (they run in my family, though I have never suffered) but nothing ever came of it.

don't know about the discharge though, not conjunctivitis is it?

brimfull Tue 23-Sep-08 20:07:48

weird it's gone now

shall i phone gp tomorrow

just checked BP as it reminded me a bit of when I had pre eclampsia -it is fine thank god

brimfull Tue 23-Sep-08 20:08:39

I'd say it lasted about 20 minutes?

brimfull Tue 23-Sep-08 20:09:04

yes to rainbow thingy

justaflyingvisit Tue 23-Sep-08 20:09:34

could be migraine, i have a friend who only suffers visual disturbances and no headache, they make her feel horrible.

Dalrymps Tue 23-Sep-08 20:11:11

Dh had this once, was told by nhs direct it could be because he was about to get a migrane or could just be a silent migrane.

brimfull Tue 23-Sep-08 20:12:28

hmm have never had migraine

worked night duty last night and have only had about 3 hrs sleep today so maybe tiredness???

harpomarx Tue 23-Sep-08 20:12:33

yeah, probably about 20 mins or so ggirl. But ring NHS direct anyway, because of the discharge.

brimfull Tue 23-Sep-08 20:17:36

not gp then

harpomarx Tue 23-Sep-08 20:28:42

was only suggesting nhs direct cos you seemed worried tonight and thought it might help put your mind at rest.

if not, then yes, gp smile

silverfrog Tue 23-Sep-08 20:32:07

ooh, i've had this a couple of times too. No idea what it could be - I have thought it could be migraine linked (they run in my family, strongly) and the last time it happened (2 weeks ago?) I did feel very sick, and headachey too.

I'd say it last around 20 mins too, and is weird shimmery arc-thing.

hope you feel better soon.

asicsgirl Wed 24-Sep-08 09:31:10

i had this or something similar twice when v stressed. it was migraine. never had them before or since. the flashing lights/ tunnel vision are the aura. scared living daylights out of me, i thought i was going blind.

here's an animation of what the aura looks like to one sufferer. (scroll down and click 'start' on the picture of the road.) mine was black & white but otherwise similar.

belgo Wed 24-Sep-08 09:34:50

It sounds like an opthalmic migraine, which I get. They can be caused by hormones, bright lights, tiredness. I don't get much pain with them, just some achiness, but they really effect my vision. THey usually last 20-30 minutes.

BUT you should contact your GP because any eye problemws are potentially very serious, and need a proper diagnosis.

SoupDragon Wed 24-Sep-08 09:36:29

I've had them where it's like looking into a cut diamond - all fragmented rainbows and white sparkles.

belgo Wed 24-Sep-08 09:39:10

yes same with me soupdragon, or like a stationary flash of lightening.

I would be worrried but I've recently had my eyes thoroughly checked at the eye hospital so I know I have no serious eye problem. My eyes are incredbily sensitive to light though, and I can no longer wear contact lenses.

It's so important to take good care of your eyes.

brimfull Wed 24-Sep-08 09:40:02

wow that is very like what I had!!
The shape of it was like a "C" and I had no pain at all,infact no other symptoms.
Very weird but thanks for that-reassuring that others have had similar.

SoupDragon Wed 24-Sep-08 09:43:00

Mine always kind of "cleared" outwards from being a spot in the middle to a haze round the outside. I've only had it 3 times though - had it checked the first time and all was OK. It leaves me feeling slightly wrong after, kind of hung over but not quite IYSWIM!

My eyes are light sensitive too - apparently due to "freckles" on the lens or something.

brimfull Wed 24-Sep-08 09:44:40

did you have it checked by gp or eye bod

SoupDragon Wed 24-Sep-08 09:48:22

It was only by my GP but I have no other eye problems..

Minniethemoocher Wed 24-Sep-08 10:20:41

I had one last week, horrible! Like looking through a cut diamond, multi-coloured, sharp triangles. I am pregnant, so I was worried about pre-eclampsia, but it went in about 30 minutes or so. No headache.

It could also be a sign of a detaching retina, so always best to get eye problems seen by
a medical professional.

Ripeberry Wed 24-Sep-08 10:28:00

I get this sometimes. I usually first notice it when i can't read text on a computer screen or a book.
Then it turns into the "ark" you described, moves slowly to the other eye (strange i know) and then disapears.
Takes about 10 minutes, but i don't get any headaches.
Usually happens when i've not eaten or feeling a bit stressed.
When i was pregnant with DD1 i was in the midwife's room and she was doing pre-natal check on me and i told her that i was getting these "arks".
So she took my blood pressure and it was going up and up. She almost called an ambulance but within a couple of minutes it all went back to normal (my pressure is usually quite low anyway).
But , (touch wood), i've not had it happen for a couple of years, not since DD2 was born.
But maybe you should get yourself checked out if you get them regularly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now