Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Fish bone stuck!

(23 Posts)
TheFallenMadonna Tue 23-Sep-08 14:11:53

OK, this is really blush - I have had a fish bone stuck at the back of my mouth since yesterday lunchtime. It feels like it's stuck in the back of my tongue. DH had a look with a torch, but he can't see anything, and if I try to feel for it I gag as it is so far back.

It's uncomfortable and occasionally painful. What do I do?

Surely it can't merit a doctor's appointment - and hardly classes as an emergency so I would have to wait a few days anyway.

But it hurts sad

maidamess Tue 23-Sep-08 14:12:34

Chew and swallow a piece of dry bread.

MamaG Tue 23-Sep-08 14:13:27

AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH

I hve a horrible dread of that happening <vows never to eat fish again>

go to the doc if the dry bread won't shift it

TheFallenMadonna Tue 23-Sep-08 14:14:33

I've tried that.

Every time I swallow anything I aim it at that point (!), but nothing is shifting it.

donnie Tue 23-Sep-08 14:14:53

I had this once - I could feel it if I poked my finger down there so in the end I made myself vomit and sicked the bone back up. I wouldn't recommend this as a course of action though. If it doesn't come out you may need to go to A&E.

TheFallenMadonna Tue 23-Sep-08 14:15:28

Really? But it's so trivial.

TheFallenMadonna Tue 23-Sep-08 14:15:51

A&E?!!!!

PrettyCandles Tue 23-Sep-08 14:17:41

The chances are that you have shifted it, but it has scratched your throat and that is what you are feeling.

SaintGeorge Tue 23-Sep-08 14:18:07

It could just be a scratch caused by the bone going down, but if the bone is still stuck you need to get it out.

A & E can easily check. Better safe than sorry.

sparkybabe Tue 23-Sep-08 14:19:22

Go to hospital. They can be dangerous if they are not shifted. But then it might just be a scratch...

TheFallenMadonna Tue 23-Sep-08 14:19:39

It's not in my throat, but the back of my tongue. I know - yuck. Anyway. Swallowing makes it sort of stab, which is what is making me think it's still there. Hard to tell...

AnarchyAunt Tue 23-Sep-08 14:23:03

This happened to me about five years ago. Nothing visible, but definitely there and uncomfortable.

I rang NHS direct, who said A&E. Went there, they said nope, not an emergency, see your GP. Went to the GP, who wondered why I was there hmm and sent me to the minor injuries unit at A&E. They couldn't see anything and insisted that I had just scratched my throat.

I still have a poky feeling from time to time in the same place, like there is still something there.

Sorry, that wasn't exactly helpful or encouraging - just to warn you not to expect them to do much!

TheFallenMadonna Tue 23-Sep-08 14:24:52

I think I shall wait and see. And eat lots of dry bread. Yum hmm grin

TheFallenMadonna Tue 23-Sep-08 14:25:44

I really don't feel I could walk into A&E past the broken limbs and open wounds and tell them I have a fish bone in my tongue. Possibly.

BigGitDad Tue 23-Sep-08 14:26:36

Have you tried a coathanger?grin
Yes I was jokng and don't even think about it!!

TheFallenMadonna Tue 23-Sep-08 14:27:00

grin

maidamess Tue 23-Sep-08 14:27:11

Have you tried gargling? or would that feel like sandpaper?

maidamess Tue 23-Sep-08 14:27:46

Heimlech manoever? (sp)

TheFallenMadonna Tue 23-Sep-08 14:31:18

I have tried gargling.

DH was all ready to go in with a pair of tweezers, but I kept gagging.

maidamess Tue 23-Sep-08 14:32:09

Was he wearing a miners helmet?

TheFallenMadonna Tue 23-Sep-08 14:35:29

Are you laughing at my ridiculous plight maidamess? grin

donnie Tue 23-Sep-08 14:39:40

actuallythe coathanger option is not altogether a bad idea, although I would choose something thinner like a pipe cleaner.

specialeyelin Tue 23-Sep-08 14:44:22

def keep trying the dry bread ,but if no joy you will be best off going down to the hospital.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now