Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

How long can a viral infection last ?

(14 Posts)
bensmum3 Sat 26-Feb-05 22:19:51

HI, Ds has had a temperature since last monday, varying from 40.2oC to 37.5oC after calpol and nurofen, told it's probably a viral infection by GP, but how long will it last ? He's definately not his usual cheery self, and although I like the extra cuddles, it is starting to worry me.

ionesmum Sat 26-Feb-05 22:29:16

Sometimes they can last a long time an dthere are some real stinkers around this winter. Does your ds have any other symptoms? If he has a sore throat, cough or earache for example he may have a secondary infection that needs antibiotics. If he doesn't have anything other than the usual cold symtoms then I wouldn't worry too much so long as he is drinking okay. How old is he?

bensmum3 Sat 26-Feb-05 23:07:05

He's 20 months, He doesn't even have cold symptoms,I thought he might have a sore throat,but I cant see that its red, just says don't mummy whenever I touch him, (apart from being cuddled).He's quite dehydrated, but is drinking well to make up for it.

Miaou Sat 26-Feb-05 23:18:37

Hiya bensmum, sorry that ds2 is not so well. There are some really stinking viruses going round here atm, dh was off work for 4 days last week, and dd1 was poorly too. It seems to take a long time to get over and is rampant in our local schools. Everyone agrees (doctors included) that it is rampant and vigorous. Hugs to you - not nice watching them suffer, is it?

joash Sat 26-Feb-05 23:23:47

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
GS is just getting over his viral thingy, so you have my full sympathy

bensmum3 Sat 26-Feb-05 23:45:38

Nice to see you Miaou, are dh and dd1 better now ? Hope you dont get it,
I feel like a really paranoid mother at the moment,(keep thinking their must be an infection for it to remain so high for so long,)taking his temp every few hours ,and we're nearly out of calpol, had to borrow the nurofen from a neighbour, let you guess which one !
Joash, how long did it last?

joash Sat 26-Feb-05 23:56:22

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if he had one viral infection immediately after another. To be honest, I think it was probably all part of the same thing.

He actually started with it in the first week of february - with a very high temperature and lots of ear tugging. Initially we were told that it was in ear infection, ut after a few days, the doc said that it was a viral infection and to wait for the snotty nose and cough. These followed about a week later and then last week he developed diarohea (can't spell) and sickness and was quite ill (in hospital for most of last weekend - due to dehydration which occured very rapidly, but this was probably also due to the fact that he only has one kidney and so doesnt take in enough fluid anyway).
Then again, my neices daughter has had something similar and she was okay after a few days.

I'm convinced that the doc says "Viral infection" when they don't have a clue.

ChicPea Sun 27-Feb-05 00:25:25

Sorry to hear your son is ill BensMum. My two (29mths and 16mths) have been ill since September with one thing or another and in January my DS had a viral infection that lasted about 2-3weeks. It does seem to go on and on and I did start to worry and wonder if I would ever have two healthy children. I would recommend Diarylite to help rehydrate him - it really does work.

Tiggiwinkle Sun 27-Feb-05 00:34:03

bensmum3-Has the GP checked for a urinary infection? One of my DSs once had a persistant high temp but with no other symptoms, and when they eventually checked he did have an infection in his water. Might be worth asking them to test him if it continues.

bensmum3 Sun 27-Feb-05 08:56:11

I agree Joash, it covers a lot of things doesn't it.
Chicpea, I will add it to my list, I will be phoning the chemist at 0900 on monday for calpol,nurofen and dairylite.
If his temp's still up tommorrow, I'll ring the DR again , and see if she will see him.

Miaou Sun 27-Feb-05 09:26:09

Hiya bensmum, how is he this morning?

bensmum3 Sun 27-Feb-05 10:07:08

Good morning Miaou, His temp was 39.5 when we got up, he's had nurofen and is having a story with dd at the moment,seems a little brighter, but then I thought that yesterday morning as well, we've got a birthday party this afternoon, think I will see how he goes.Is dd1 better?

Miaou Sun 27-Feb-05 10:28:34

She's fine, just a heavy cold now, and her sinuses are getting bunged up - it is taking a long time to shift! Dh says loads of people from work (ie both schools) have been off sick with the same virus.

Do you remember the virus I had last year? It took me a full two/three weeks to recover from it. Plus if he's not eating much then he will be feeling tired and not himself from lack of energy too. Hope he continues to be bright - the odd smile will show if he's on the mend.

ionesmum Sun 27-Feb-05 21:44:55

bensmum, hope you ds gets better soon. I've loads of sympathy - my two have been ill off and on since October.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: