Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Please advise - Chesty cough & sore throat

(7 Posts)
musicmaker Sat 26-Feb-05 20:03:31

Hello

Can anyone help me please - I am in so much pain.

I have not been ill for years and on Friday came down with a terrible sore throat and chesty cough. My chest is so sore everytime I cough and I feel like I am swallowing knives. I have all this gunk in my throat I need to clear but I cant because it hurts so much when I try. My ears are huting too.

I know I am being a big baby but because I have not been ill for so long I cant handle it.

The worse thing about this is I have just started my own music and movement group and I need my voice!!! I cant cancel sessions already. My voice is totally gone, it hurts so much when I speak.

Does anyone know how long this kind of thing lasts and what could I take to help? Do you think its a job for antibiotics?

I have been taking Lemsip Maxi, Beechams All in One, Butterscotch syrup, gargling aspirin - nothing is working...

musicmaker Sat 26-Feb-05 20:05:04

Also forgot to say I feel terrible - my little dd almost two is looking at me like "Why are you not looking after me mummy?"

Daddy has to do everything because I am so ill...

SenoraPostrophe Sat 26-Feb-05 20:06:28

Does sound like a proper chest infection - i.e. a job for the doc.

You're not being a baby - it's horrible.

Hope you feel better soon.

SleepyJess Sat 26-Feb-05 20:07:09

Hi musicmaker. This sounds like the horrible lurgy that 'everyone' has. It really is a rough one.. but if you are basically healthy, it will probably just stay as a viral thing.. so take paracetamol.. drink loads.. and wait to see if you feel better soon. You probably will.. although it does evolve a bit.. and leaves a lingering cough. If you feel worse in a couple of days or have a persistent fever, see your doc as you may have a chest infection which isn't viral and requires antibiotics. Or, of course, if you are worrying a lot, see a doctor before that stage but it sounds very much like the 'lurgy of the moment' to me!

Hope you feel better soon

SJ x

JJ Sat 26-Feb-05 20:09:43

Poor thing - you're not being a baby. See the doctor and until then try gargling hot salt water and sleeping in a warm steamy room (if you have a steam humidifier use it, otherwise try sleeping under a cover). Both of those always help take the edge off the worst of my sore throats -- and loads of hot tea with honey and lemon, of course!

musicmaker Sat 26-Feb-05 21:31:37

Hello

Thank you!

Just made myself hot water with fresh lemon, ginger, whisky and honey - think the whisky is the only thing helping. Wish it was Sunday so I could go to docs in the morning, I think it is achest infection because I have not actually been coughing that much but when I do the pain is excruciating, radiating across my chest.

I wonder how I got it and hope to God my little girl does not catch it.

So many horrible things going round right now, my dd has had a cold since beg of January and has had conjunctivitus for over a week now.

I wish it would stop, I really would prefer a burn on my hand then have to got through this another day.

see! i am a big baby

SleepyJess Mon 28-Feb-05 23:03:45

How are you feeling Musicmaker?

SJ x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: