Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Please advise - Chesty cough & sore throat

(7 Posts)
musicmaker Sat 26-Feb-05 20:03:31

Hello

Can anyone help me please - I am in so much pain.

I have not been ill for years and on Friday came down with a terrible sore throat and chesty cough. My chest is so sore everytime I cough and I feel like I am swallowing knives. I have all this gunk in my throat I need to clear but I cant because it hurts so much when I try. My ears are huting too.

I know I am being a big baby but because I have not been ill for so long I cant handle it.

The worse thing about this is I have just started my own music and movement group and I need my voice!!! I cant cancel sessions already. My voice is totally gone, it hurts so much when I speak.

Does anyone know how long this kind of thing lasts and what could I take to help? Do you think its a job for antibiotics?

I have been taking Lemsip Maxi, Beechams All in One, Butterscotch syrup, gargling aspirin - nothing is working...

musicmaker Sat 26-Feb-05 20:05:04

Also forgot to say I feel terrible - my little dd almost two is looking at me like "Why are you not looking after me mummy?"

Daddy has to do everything because I am so ill...

SenoraPostrophe Sat 26-Feb-05 20:06:28

Does sound like a proper chest infection - i.e. a job for the doc.

You're not being a baby - it's horrible.

Hope you feel better soon.

SleepyJess Sat 26-Feb-05 20:07:09

Hi musicmaker. This sounds like the horrible lurgy that 'everyone' has. It really is a rough one.. but if you are basically healthy, it will probably just stay as a viral thing.. so take paracetamol.. drink loads.. and wait to see if you feel better soon. You probably will.. although it does evolve a bit.. and leaves a lingering cough. If you feel worse in a couple of days or have a persistent fever, see your doc as you may have a chest infection which isn't viral and requires antibiotics. Or, of course, if you are worrying a lot, see a doctor before that stage but it sounds very much like the 'lurgy of the moment' to me!

Hope you feel better soon

SJ x

JJ Sat 26-Feb-05 20:09:43

Poor thing - you're not being a baby. See the doctor and until then try gargling hot salt water and sleeping in a warm steamy room (if you have a steam humidifier use it, otherwise try sleeping under a cover). Both of those always help take the edge off the worst of my sore throats -- and loads of hot tea with honey and lemon, of course!

musicmaker Sat 26-Feb-05 21:31:37

Hello

Thank you!

Just made myself hot water with fresh lemon, ginger, whisky and honey - think the whisky is the only thing helping. Wish it was Sunday so I could go to docs in the morning, I think it is achest infection because I have not actually been coughing that much but when I do the pain is excruciating, radiating across my chest.

I wonder how I got it and hope to God my little girl does not catch it.

So many horrible things going round right now, my dd has had a cold since beg of January and has had conjunctivitus for over a week now.

I wish it would stop, I really would prefer a burn on my hand then have to got through this another day.

see! i am a big baby

SleepyJess Mon 28-Feb-05 23:03:45

How are you feeling Musicmaker?

SJ x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now