Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

wheezing baby

(15 Posts)
kiwibella Mon 22-Sep-08 21:18:34

I'm not sure when to make the call to the doctors... my dd is 18 months old and she has been wheezing badly as she breathes for the last few hours. It is upsetting her (and us). She is dozing in our arms. She has had a couple of brief bfs and refused her dinner although she has snacked all afternoon.

She was hospitalised in May for similar symptoms and given oxygen and ventolin. It was a nightmare - she didn't like the mask over her face. We have given her a puff of salamol tonight... it doesn't seem to have settled the wheezing but it has calmed her down.

Am I putting my baby at risk by waiting things out at home? Should she be checked over by a doctor? Please offer me your suggestions.

LaylaandSethsmum Mon 22-Sep-08 21:21:21

Yes she should be checked out, she could have a chest infection or bronchiolitis, the salbutamol should have settled the wheezing.

emma1977 Mon 22-Sep-08 21:36:12

Get her checked over this evening.

Wheezers tend to get worse as the night progresses and some children can get very sick very quickly.

Better to have her seen and some reassurance or treatment now than a crisis at 4am!

sillybigsausage Mon 22-Sep-08 21:53:40

Hi Kiwi

How is she now?

I would get her checked out if I were you

SuperSillyus Mon 22-Sep-08 22:07:37

Aw, hugs to you Kiwi- you don't want to upset her but yes I think you should get her checked because of her history.

kiwibella Mon 22-Sep-08 22:32:29

Well DW and DSIL (darling sister in law ) have taken dd to doctors while ddd (darling daddy) stays with ddto (darling daughter the other).


Mr Kiwibella

weblette Mon 22-Sep-08 22:39:07

There's a lot of it around at the moment Hope she gets the meds she needs and settles soon.

avenanap Mon 22-Sep-08 22:41:30

Sweetie if she's wheezy then you need to take her to the hospital or call an ambulance. She needs checking over tonight, not in the morning. If the salbutamol isn't helping then you really do need to get her some help. Please call an ambulance for her.

SuperSillyus Tue 23-Sep-08 06:54:38

Thanks Mr Kiwi smile Look forward to hearing how she is today.

Piffle Tue 23-Sep-08 07:55:10

kiwi hope that gorgeous baby girl is ok
And on the mend.
And that you're ok?
X x x

kiwibella Tue 23-Sep-08 12:21:11

thanks for caring enough to reply

We spent the night in hospital - most of it in pediatrics waiting, waiting, waiting. She was given three nebulisers which didn't seem to have much effect so at 4am we were moved to the ward and SIL came home shock. Still wheezing this morning so more waiting to see a doctor... seems much better after inhaler today so is on it (reducing) for the next week or back if it doesn't improve.

Boyswillbeboys Tue 23-Sep-08 12:29:44

Hope your LO is feeling better soon. Had the same with my DS2 when he was about a year old, and found it really difficult to try to assess when I should or shouldn't take him to docs/A&E. No advice really, just wanted to say hope she (and you!) feel better soon.

VickyPea Tue 23-Sep-08 12:46:02

I think in these circumstances it is always better to get it checked out. That said, when my DS1 was 6 months he was wheezing and I took him to the doctors and the Doctor said, "no, its not serious, he's just wheezy, definitely not brochilitis". Took him home, gave him Calpol and the next morning at 5.00 a.m. we had him in an ambulance, took to hospital for four days and put in an oxygen tent with a tube up his nose (and I had to hold him while they did it !) diagnosed - brochilitis.

It turned out though he was just a "rattler" and he was wheezy until he had stopped teething (something to do with increased mucous ) My second DS is the same but we worry less because we have been through it with DS1.

It is hard though, especially when they are so little and can't tell you, so you have my sympathy.

emma1977 Tue 23-Sep-08 16:47:12

I hope she's on the mend now and well done for taking her.

sillybigsausage Wed 24-Sep-08 21:08:58

Kiwi - I hope she gets better soon

[hugs] to your DD

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: