Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Do you have PCOS?

(7 Posts)
undercovercat Mon 22-Sep-08 20:38:58

What nasty side effects do you have and how are they treated?

FeelingOld Mon 22-Sep-08 21:56:16

I was diagnosed 16 years ago, have had 2 children with fertility treatment (aged 13 and 8).
I have periods roughly about every 3-4 months, have problem with a small amount of facial hair which i have removed by electrolosis and am now about 2 stone over weight (have lost 2 stone but have been stuck for about 4 weeks).

The only treatment i have had is fertility treatment, not had any help with my weight or hair problem

undercovercat Tue 23-Sep-08 12:19:15

Have you asked for help with the weight or hair problem?
I have had a scan which confirms I have PCOS, have cream for my hairyness and I was wondering what else the doctor was planning on doing..not much if you are anything to go bygrin
Anyone else?
Who has paid for the electrolosis? Do you have to go back, does it come back?

surprisenumber3 Tue 23-Sep-08 12:31:07

Hi - I have it too, was diagnosed 6 years ago. Was confirmed by scans and blood tests, after having a sudden hairy jaw line and weight gain around my abdomen. You are entitled to half price laser hair removal but I didn't against that, just pluck when necessary, but it is definitely something I will look into if it gets any worse. you can also get Vaniqa on prescription which with regular use stops the hair growing back.

Was put on Metformin to control insulin resistance, caused by PCOS. But it messed my kidney function tests up and as I have high BP I like to know my kidneys are okay!
I did lose weight on Metformin though, and no choc cravings or anything. It also makes you more fertile! My periods were regular for the first time in ages while on it.

Regarding fertility, I was told I would definitely need fertility treatment. But the first month I tried for DC2 I got caught. Now I have a surprise baby on the way so my fertility hasn't been an issue!

Good luck, and see an Endocrinologist as GP's don't really have enough experience in this I don't think.

surprisenumber3 Tue 23-Sep-08 12:31:38

sorry decided against that!

FeelingOld Tue 23-Sep-08 13:19:11

I did ask for help with my weight problem but all they did was send me to a dietician who quite frankly was useless and who just gave me few leaflets and didnt tell me anything i didnt already know and basically just said come back in 4 weeks to get weighed (this was about 15 years ago though).
I have paid for the electrolysis and yes you do have to go back, i go about twice a year and pluck inbetween.

SummerC Tue 23-Sep-08 13:26:13

I was diagnosed 4 years ago and was put on metformin. Others may not agree with me, but I think it is a miracle drug! My cycle regulated, I lost weight, my hair stopped falling out, and the hirsutism was eased as well.

When DH and I decided we wanted a family, we tried for 2 years without any luck. After one month on a combination of metformin and clomid I was pregnant. DD is now 9 months.

This has just reminded me...must get in touch with the doctor to get back on metformin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now