Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Glandular Fever - Anyone had it?

(23 Posts)
lemonlady Mon 22-Sep-08 19:04:04

Been doc's again today with severe sore throat, only just had tonsilitis 2 weeks ago.
He thinks I could have Glandular Fever, what can I expect.

Word Mon 22-Sep-08 19:11:42

You need lots and lots and lots and a bit more - REST.

(If that possible) smile

Seriously, look after yourself.

lemonlady Mon 22-Sep-08 19:13:27

thanks word,
got to go for blood test in the morning. feel like crap.

Silly question,if it is GF can it be passed onto dh and dc's?

Word Mon 22-Sep-08 19:19:13

Not at all silly - You need to know!

It's known as the kissing disease so you and DH may not want to snog for a while....

This should answer your question properly

smoggie Mon 22-Sep-08 20:06:02

I had it whilst at Uni and it totall wiped me out for ages. Copious kissing in Freshers week/month/year might have had something to do wiht it!!!
Apparently I had a mild form too - I was sent home from Uni for a few weeks.
So, you need to rest.
You won't be able to give blood for a while (a year or so I think).
Apart from that I think just rest if you can and get on top of it.

lemonlady Mon 22-Sep-08 20:12:36

Thanks for posts, feel like poo and not even had test yet, fingers crossed it just tonsilitis again. (doubt it tho as my neck is swollen).
Dh been great tonight/day. I said he was playing mummy today.

noonki Mon 22-Sep-08 20:20:06

make sure you rest... for longer than you think you should

if not it can lead to ME

let your DH know how important it is, if he doesn;t get it, make he speak to my DH who will tell him how shit it is to live with someone with ME ! (that would be me btw)

take care x

Donk Mon 22-Sep-08 20:26:50

You can also (oh joy!) suffer relapses for two years.....

MrsBates Mon 22-Sep-08 20:30:26

Had it when I was 16 - and not through kissing since I was disdainful of boys - and girls - at that age. PJs soaked with sweat so had to change a few times a night and very very weak and tired. Remember I couldn't turn the shower on and felt pathetic. Have you got someone to help you? It lasted about 5 weeks and LOTS of rest needed. No relapses though.

ThinWhiteDuchess Mon 22-Sep-08 21:29:30

Oh you poor thing if you do have GF. Had it in my teens and it seemed to take forever to get rid of. I lost a stone in a week (was pitifully thin to start off with). Even now (am 38) whenever I am about to come down with a cold or whatever I know as my glands come up. Wish I could manage that trick of losing a stone in a week again though!

Rest up and take it as easy as you can. You need lots of rest and food that is easy to swallow (ice cream, yoghurt, etc). It is very easily transferred, so keep your DH at arms length for now.

lemonlady Tue 23-Sep-08 06:45:59

Thanks everyone,
scary about ME.

lemonlady Tue 23-Sep-08 07:05:03

Thanks everyone,
scary about ME.

Buda Tue 23-Sep-08 08:07:44

cod had it recently - she had a few threads about it.

charmander Tue 23-Sep-08 08:10:55

i am beening tested for it too - apparently it could take 2 or 3 weeks for the sesults to come back.

largeginandtonic Tue 23-Sep-08 08:14:46

Cod had it not that long ago, ask her if you see her smile

Poor you, lots of rest, no alcohol and eat well.

SpandexIsMyEnemy Tue 23-Sep-08 08:21:25

I had it about 8 years ago, for me I slept all of the time. was totally wiped out. I got it boxing day and pretty much spent a month exhausted. (thankful had just moved so not working or having kids)

my XH didn't catch it, and I/we didn't hold back on the kissing front.

like duchess thou every time I have a cold they come up.

You can't give blood I know that much as well.

it's really not nice you feel so lethargic all you want to do is sleep. and it does feel like you're body's being invaded.

on the plus side thou was right as rain after that and no relapses!

beau has also had it and his was much much milder, they had to do blood tests on him, but I didn't need it. he was wiped out but not as much. think his was only a couple of weeks.

FluffyMummy123 Tue 23-Sep-08 08:54:09

Message withdrawn

FluffyMummy123 Tue 23-Sep-08 08:54:22

Message withdrawn

lemonlady Tue 23-Sep-08 14:37:32

when everyone says rest as much as possible, how is that possible with a nearly 3 year old and dd 7 and a house to run.
dh been great but he is self employed, works mostly few hours morning and from 4pm onwards til 8ish.
feel like crap and just got up from 2hour sleep. temp 38.9 woke me early at 5.30 got up then.
sadsadsad

PeppermintPatty Tue 23-Sep-08 15:34:33

Oh poor you if you've got it

I got it about 4 / 5 weeks ago and only just recovering now. On the whole I feel loads better, but still getting days when I feel like shit (usually when I've done too much!).

Tis horrid.
Agree with others, you need to rest. I totally understand though - it is hard to rest when you've got kids etc.

Forget about housework for now (just do bare minimum).
Tell DH he needs to help out with kids when he's around.
The more rest you get the quicker you'll get better (tell DH this and it will encourage him to help!).

Hope you feel better soon

FluffyMummy123 Tue 23-Sep-08 15:42:35

Message withdrawn

ThinWhiteDuchess Wed 24-Sep-08 23:02:27

Hey lemonlady...just checking to see how you're feeling? Really hope this is not gf and that you are on the mend.

Word Thu 25-Sep-08 14:48:41

ditto! How are you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now