Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone around with experience of liver cancer?

(5 Posts)
PussinJimmyChoos Mon 22-Sep-08 17:37:08

What's the prognosis?

MIL has just been diagnosed with it. Its spread to her bile ducts. They are not going to do anything as she is over 80 so its better to just give pallative care.

She is already jaundiced with high bilirubin levels....very weak and not eating much. She is also diabetic (not insulin dependent though and high blood pressure). Dr says weeks at the most but I'm scared its going to be sooner.

Any advice?

Threadwworm Mon 22-Sep-08 17:44:05

My mother was diagnosed with a secondary liver cancer, and lived four months from the diagnosis. The doctors had said 'up to a year' I think. She was in her sixties.

The most distressing thing for her was the chemo. Without that, I think she would have been relatively serene. So your Nan's 'palliative care only' could be seen as a blessing.

She hardly ate for a couple of months. Towards the end (the last week or so) she became very confused and hallucinated, but she was not distressed by this. This was apparently a feature of the illness, not just the pain relief.

I hope that information is of some help at this awful tiome.

newforold Mon 22-Sep-08 17:44:37

sad sympathies.

I think comfort is the key for your MIL. They will try to keep her pain free basically.
I'm so sorry, best wishes to you all.

PussinJimmyChoos Mon 22-Sep-08 20:16:48

Apparently its in her pancreas now...that is supposed to be very dangerous?

PussinJimmyChoos Mon 22-Sep-08 20:44:37

Bump

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now