Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sciatica and trappped Iliac nerve help!

(7 Posts)
coldshowers Mon 22-Sep-08 00:54:25

Has anyone any experience of these and alleviating the pain? It kicked off on Thurs/Fri and was in complete agony sad My GP initially said oh just backpain take some paracetamol which was as useful as a chocolate teapot angry Managed on Sat to see an out of hours Dr after nearly passing out with pain trying to walk. He diagnosed the above gave me diclofenac and co-codamol which is helping a bit.
I was hoping there was something more I could do myself, anything that can help alleviate the pain, get rid of it altogether??
Google is confusing me with loads of conflicting advice.
Anyone know?

gigglewitch Mon 22-Sep-08 00:58:39

can you get a referral to a physio - even if only for assessment? I had a trapped nerve during pg#3, physio really helped.
hope you feel better soon

thumbwitch Mon 22-Sep-08 01:01:59

ok, immediate action? stand on a step on the non-sciatic leg. Make sure you have enough room to swing the sciatic leg backwards and forwards. Now, swing the leg backwards and forwards, trying to increase the arc as you go but not overdoing it. This will help to release the SI joint and relieve the pressure on the sciatic nerve.

Another thing you can do: Lie on the bed on your back. PUll your knees up to your chest and hug them to you (impossible if pg) and let your back relax into the position.

thumbwitch Mon 22-Sep-08 01:06:56

Another exercise: lie on your back on the bed. Now, lift one knee, keeping the foot low, and lower the bent leg across the straight leg that is still on the bed. Keep BOTH of your shoulders on the bed. this will give a long stretch through your back and help to release the SI joints and local LB area. You need to do this on both sides. If you can do it on the edge of the bed, so that your foot hangs over the edge (and can go below the leve of the bed) you will get a better stretch and more relief.

Go and see an osteopath/chiropracter. From my pov, osteos are more value for money because they will treat you for half an hour, whereas some chiros will only treat you for 10 mins and still charge £40. My osteo keeps my sciatica under control, but I still sometimes have to resort to these exercises when I overdo things.

coldshowers Mon 22-Sep-08 01:24:58

Thank you both. I was wondering about osteo/chiropractor. Confused about what was best. Will def give those exercises a try TW, and will have a look around for an osteo
Will just be happy to be able to walk without too much pain atm!

thumbwitch Mon 22-Sep-08 01:35:07

another hint - and I KNOW I am kind of suggesting the impossible - try not to limp! When my sciatica gets bad, my right leg drags and I know I am limping but try my hardest not to because that unbalances the pelvis even more and makes the situation worse.

Do the leg swinging NOW - it will help immediately! Are you pg at the mo? If not, sod paracetamol, take ibuprofen as it is more use as an anti-inflammatory.

Good luck, and night!

coldshowers Mon 22-Sep-08 01:52:58

Thanks tw. No am not pregnant am not using the paracetamol now, Dr prescribed diclofenac which is anti inflamatory isn't it? ans he gave me co-codamol
Will go try swinging my legs! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now