Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

A tick bite - do I actually need to do anything?

(13 Posts)
hereorthere Sun 21-Sep-08 21:24:19

i found a tick on me earlier today and with the help of a friend I pulled it off with my nails. Ok so I know now that that's not recommended but i packed seeing this thing hanging off me!

Do I actually need to do anything other than look out for weird symptoms? The bite itself is literally just a small pinprick hole, although it was rashy earlier (i took some anti-histamines and I think that helped).

Thank you!

twinsetandpearls Sun 21-Sep-08 21:30:07

NHS direct, had never heard of Lyme disease

twinsetandpearls Sun 21-Sep-08 21:31:20

I think you just need to watch for rashes or feeling unwell.

rempy Sun 21-Sep-08 21:32:22

Where geographically were you bitten?

Lyme and something else which has slipped my mind is present in about 1/3 of ticks in northern scotland. England I dont think has anything like the prevalence.

Did you get the ticks head out?

Are you pregnant?

IAteDavinaForDinner Sun 21-Sep-08 21:34:04

Lots of good info here

frisbyrat Sun 21-Sep-08 21:35:08

Lyme disease is also prevalent in the New Forest. My mother was bitten by a tick in Germany, ignored the circular rash that developed until it had looped all the way round her leg, and now suffers from aching joints, memory loss, a heart murmur, and nerve damage. GET IT SEEN TO!

hereorthere Sun 21-Sep-08 21:36:08

I live in the South West and I think I got it from a farm field full of sheep and long grass!

I'm completely and utterly, absolutely NOT pregnant!

I'm pretty sure I got it all out, it seemed to come out in one go (we did have a close look at the tick!).

So nothing to do now, but keep an eye?

rempy Sun 21-Sep-08 21:40:59

Thats what I would do - read the symptoms and act promptly if anything happens. Probably lay off the anti histamines now so that you know what is happening at the bite site.

twinsetandpearls Sun 21-Sep-08 21:42:29

We have a few ticks here, Dorset. Never had them on us bit have found one on the dog.

twinsetandpearls Sun 21-Sep-08 21:45:03

God if I checked myself every time I went somewhere I knew ticks were I would do nothing else.

Leoloopydoo Tue 23-Sep-08 10:12:31

Lymes disease is the virus, but the bacteria they carry can also cause meningitus. if you are in a risk area your doctor should know about it if you do think you have wierd symptoms. I think for the lymes disease you need to be looking out for the circular rash which will not necessarily appear where the bite was. I think meningitus you need to look out for fever and headaches up to 2 weeks after the bite. I think you would see if it didn't all come out and we have also been told not to worry if it didn't, its the body that needs to go. Was it already big when you pulled it out or still tiny? don't panic, I think its pretty rare even if you live in a high risk area that you will get either.

fortyplus Tue 23-Sep-08 10:18:30

You're very unlikely to contract Lyme's disease if the tick was on you for less than 24 hours. You can't be sure that you've got all the mouthparts out, though, if you pulled it off in the way that you did. If you feel unwell or develop a rash you must see your GP to explain. I think the incubation period can be 2 or 3 months so don't be complacent! But the chances are you will be fine smile

We've all had ticks at various times after walks on Dartmoor and Exmoor and never had a problem.

You can get them off easily by putting a drop of tea tree oil on them and gently but firmly pulling with tweezers when you see it move.

IAteDavinaForDinner Wed 24-Sep-08 21:35:50

Please don't ever put tea tree oil or anything else on a tick. See here for more info.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now